Safe to Feed?

Chase

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello all!
Well I finally found some wild grasshoppers, I found a few species, at least I think. I caught about 50 hoppers in total, possibly more. There were a lot of nymphs, so I am planning on going there again from time to time to collect more, if they are safe.

I have both older ones and smaller ones of these species.

Thanks!
LPR08

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 67
That would have to be your onw call on that. WC insects can carry parisites and pestisides on them. My husband will not allow any of our animals to be feed WC insects/plants. There is just so much that can go wrong. But its totally up to you.

I know they were not near any pesticides, or fertilizers. And, cb insects can carry parasites too, so everytime they get fed them, there is a chance as well. I mean't if they were toxic or not.

LPR08

where do you live, probably best to find out whats native to your area and whats invasive, and look if they were toxic...i would talk to Cainschams about i.d bugs..goodluck

maybe even gutload the grasshoppers with a little gutload

I know they were not near any pesticides, or fertilizers. And, cb insects can carry parasites too, so everytime they get fed them, there is a chance as well. I mean't if they were toxic or not.

LPR08

Did you ever see the Planet Earth show where they were talking about (locus) or Grasshoppers as we call them. They travel for miles. They could have came for 3 miles away from you. Where someone heavily treats there yard with chemicals. Thats all I was trying to say. And yes I am a where of CB insects having perasites. But it is not likly for them to have pestisides on them. I was just giving you the opinion you asked for. I dont care if you feed insects or not. A grasshopper is a grasshopper. Just watch the back legs. They are rough and can hurt the chams mouth.

Did you ever see the Planet Earth show where they were talking about (locus) or Grasshoppers as we call them. They travel for miles. They could have came for 3 miles away from you. Where someone heavily treats there yard with chemicals. Thats all I was trying to say. And yes I am a where of CB insects having perasites. But it is not likly for them to have pestisides on them. I was just giving you the opinion you asked for. I dont care if you feed insects or not. A grasshopper is a grasshopper. Just watch the back legs. They are rough and can hurt the chams mouth.

Thanks. And sorry if I offended you. My first response wasn't mean't too if it did. If it did, I am sorry. I collected them in a park, and it is fairly large, and figured they wouldn't have came from off of it.

LPR08

I don't know of any grass hoppers that are toxic in and if their self. As for pesticides, maybe keep them for a few days and gut load them (I'm pretty sure they wont eat most fruits and veggies, but should eat wheat, some types of leaves and some grasses.

Thanks. And sorry if I offended you. My first response wasn't mean't too if it did. If it did, I am sorry. I collected them in a park, and it is fairly large, and figured they wouldn't have came from off of it.

LPR08

Its ok. It seems like everything I say ends up like this. So I just wanted to clear it up.

Again its ok. I noticed you have a Uromastx. How do you like him? Ive been looking into them. They look like litttle old men. lol

Its ok. It seems like everything I say ends up like this. So I just wanted to clear it up.

Again its ok. I noticed you have a Uromastx. How do you like him? Ive been looking into them. They look like litttle old men. lol

I like him. I've had him about 8 years. I want another one, but a smaller one. I have been thinking about getting a female, but I can't really keep it anywhere because of the quadricornis. They are fairly easy to care for, and fun to watch. Mine has been acting funny the past few months. He hasn't pooed in a LONG time. I am going to put him in a pan with warm water to see if that will do it. One thing that is cool, is that if you have beardies or iguanas, and feed those pellets, the uros can eat them too.

LPR08

Yeah I have a skink. So I know they can eat some of the same vegies. I bet they are fun to watch. Is yours handable? My skink loves going places. He rides up on my shoulder. And we go everywhere.

Yeah I have a skink. So I know they can eat some of the same vegies. I bet they are fun to watch. Is yours handable? My skink loves going places. He rides up on my shoulder. And we go everywhere.

He is very handable. He is very timid as well. But, when you pick him up, he calms down.

Thats cool. I thought they would be that way. I held some babies at a local petshop. And they didnt mind one bit. They hung out on my shoulder and where totally chilled. Even calmer than some beardies Ive held. My daughter loves the baby uro's.

@Ace thats the kind I want too.:p

Back
Top Bottom