Safe Plant

BugMunch

Is Dryipteris Erythrosora(Autumn Fern), a safe plant for chameleons?

Attachments

• 15813715943534176883465697019405.jpg
    15813715943534176883465697019405.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 107
Fern's arn't toxic as far as I know. However, I personally find them hard to keep alive. Never kept one in a cham cage though.

Fern's arn't toxic as far as I know. However, I personally find them hard to keep alive. Never kept one in a cham cage though.

Humidity, is key for ferns. I have 2 A. nidus (Birdsnest ferns) mounted epiphytically (bare roots, sitting on drift wood) for almost a year now, and they are thriving.

I also have 2 Nephrolepis cordifolia (Tuberous Sword Fern, Like a Boston Fern) in my Chams cage. They defiantly experienced major die off. Thats why I have 2, they are hard to find (cant be shipped across state lines, Invasive plant). So I got the one, and planted it it pretty much died. It lost all its leaves, its stems were drying up, it was looking terrible. I left it anyway, as I was told, they are straight weeds. I got another when the person had more stock, planted that one and cut the stems down to a few inches on the other.

Fast forward today, about a 8 months after planting the first one, and 3-4 from planting the second. The new one, has almost lost all of its leaves, it loses more and more everyday. The one I had thought dead, has its roots stretching from one side of the cage to the other almost (4ft wide cage) and has 6 full size fronds, and 4 small ones, just starting. Its not very lush yet, but its getting there, more and more everyday.

So it seems they dont like a change in environment, and will shock and die off, but they will come back, with a vengeance so just be patient with them :). The sword ferns anyway (and probably their cousin the boston)

Back
Top Bottom