Safe Plant???-Photo

Gracie79

Hi!!
I picked up this plant for a Vieled cham they said it’s a Schefflera but I’m not sure what classification as there are a few types...by appearance...Is this one safe to use???

TIA :)

Attachments

• 006D70D7-956A-48D0-94BC-BCE335884097.jpeg
    006D70D7-956A-48D0-94BC-BCE335884097.jpeg
    235.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 98CE9542-B7C5-4E1D-A0AC-0CCB1D4BEB40.jpeg
    98CE9542-B7C5-4E1D-A0AC-0CCB1D4BEB40.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 170
As far as I know that is a sceffelera, requires almost as much light as a hibiscus it looks very big!! Ideal for an outdoor basking / summer home. Some people encase large plants like that with screen for premium outside spot!!

As far as I know that is a sceffelera, requires almost as much light as a hibiscus it looks very big!! Ideal for an outdoor basking / summer home. Some people encase large plants like that with screen for premium outside spot!!
Thank you... it’ll be for a 2x2x4 reptibreeze. I like the thought of a future outside summer home as I’m in SoCal :)

Definitely safe! Not sure if I agree it would need as much light as a hibiscus, but definitely need good lighting for it to thrive in an enclosure.

I have kept many of these and they almost always struggled for me. Eventually the pests get them when they don't have enough light(full sun IME). I had quad t5s on them, then jungle Dawn's, struggled even with that.

I had good luck with them for longer than hibiscus, but there could be other factors like amount of water and temps. Not 100% sure.

I had good luck with them for longer than hibiscus, but there could be other factors like amount of water and temps. Not 100% sure.

I wonder if I just had pests around more and they would take hold faster. Not really sure, but they struggled for me more than hibiscus, though I've had problem with the hibiscus as well. Almost always with pest attacks

I wonder if I just had pests around more and they would take hold faster. Not really sure, but they struggled for me more than hibiscus, though I've had problem with the hibiscus as well. Almost always with pest attacks
How would you manage the pests.? What plants have you had luck with?

Definitely safe! Not sure if I agree it would need as much light as a hibiscus, but definitely need good lighting for it to thrive in an enclosure.
If using the T5HO 5.0 should i add a plant bulb? And could the plant bulb be used for basking as well? (Kill 2 birds with one stone?)

So pests will thrive when conditions are not right in many cases. Often we are trying to add a plant into a controlled environment that is geared towards the animals. Perhaps the success of plant types is more like luck? Just a possibility...

So pests will thrive when conditions are not right in many cases. Often we are trying to add a plant into a controlled environment that is geared towards the animals. Perhaps the success of plant types is more like luck? Just a possibility...

Yeah they usually thrive on plants that are under stress. I've used these schefflera in multiple set ups, each one struggling a bit. Never to death, but not doing well. My other plants did very well including bromeliads, schefflera amate, ficus alii, creeping fig, ferns, caladium, nepenthes, etc.

I'm thinking back when I tried these plants I didn't add the jungle Dawn's soon enough and the pests already took hold. I ended up giving them to my parents where they're kept outside thriving now.

Funny, the LED plant lights that have built in fans like the jungle dawns absolutely destroyed my plants. Almost dried them out. Have you noticed anything like this? I had two bulbs of different spectrum but the air from cooling the lamps seemed to dry everything out too much.

Funny, the LED plant lights that have built in fans like the jungle dawns absolutely destroyed my plants. Almost dried them out. Have you noticed anything like this? I had two bulbs of different spectrum but the air from cooling the lamps seemed to dry everything out too much.

Wow, never thought of that being a problem. I haven't had an issue, but then, my chams were kept in a room that got so humid that I needed a dehumidifier just to keep it at 50-60%. It would get almost 100 every night in the enclosure, even in the whole room without a dehumidifier lol. My broms were only a few inches under the jungledawns too. I also kept my carnivorous plants under a spare JD, which are sensitive to humidity changes, but they did so well they even flowered for me.

I take it you're in a dry climate?

Not really, Florida and it can be rather humid. The constant warm air from the bulbs inner fans seemed to have a wicking effect on the plant leaves and I was not misting quite as much during the day due to Fogging at night.

Lol "not really, florida". Florida is definitely not dry haha. I guess the misting then, I always went the heavier misting route and most plants liked it with good drainage.

Maybe those schefflera that were struggling didn't like the water, but then I see them thriving down in florida outside where you guys get pretty regular downpours(same up here, we just have cold winters).

Yes, even where it gets too cold here they will often die off to the ground and next spring they will sprout back up. (Yes, it can get cold here ;))

Lol you Floridians and your cold claims!

That's not right!!! I am originally from up north and have been through many winters. Here where I am we do get below freezing. I have seen very cold weather all the way down to Ft. Lauderdale. Iguanas actually freezing and dropping out of the trees until the sun warmed them up and they slowly get up and walk away.

Back
Top Bottom