Safe brands of waterseal for chameleons?

Dave

Avid Member
Im lookin for a brand of waterseal other than Thompsons that I can use on the wood for my new cage. Any ideas?

Latex paint works well.
I put a coat of waterbased polyacrylic or poyurethane over the places that got wet often. ie: the inside of the bottom.
Everything waterbased ... dries quicker and is safer sooner (a day or two).
I got rid of the cages I built with wood because they were not bug proof ... but never had a problem with the integrity of the wood.

-Brad

Latex paint works well.
I put a coat of waterbased polyacrylic or poyurethane over the places that got wet often. ie: the inside of the bottom.
Everything waterbased ... dries quicker and is safer sooner (a day or two).
I got rid of the cages I built with wood because they were not bug proof ... but never had a problem with the integrity of the wood.

-Brad

Thanks Brad, I'm headin off to Home Depot right now, the speedy reply is much appreciated :)

I think Im going to waterseal every piece before I put it together, that way it's completely sealed from the ravages of moisture and rot. How did you have problems with bugs?

-Dave

I picked up some Wolman RainSeal Advanced. It's a waterbased waterrepellent, hopefully will work nicely. I got the Cedar tinted bottle, but I think I may go get the clear tint. I'm excited, I'm goin to measure out my 1x2's and mark the cuts today and I'll cut them tomorrow as I have the day off :) I'll be sure to post a new thread with the progress of the cage

-Dave

I use the minwax water based polyurithane on my wooden enclosures and it works great and has never posed any problems. Whatever you use, i'd give it a good 4 or 5 days to cure, even if its water based.

Now what if I let it dry for a day, put the frames together, then let it dry for another few days before I put the chameleon in? Would that be sufficient? Or should I let each piece completely cure before assembling?

You might want to set it out in the sun. Assuming it is warm enough in your local area. Possibly just let it set it out for a little extra time after sealing it.

I guess the concern I would have is the fumes. Out in say a cool garage a lot of the fumes would disapate. The remainder would be released after the cage gets warm, maybe with your chameleon in it. Just something to consider in the way of a safety precaution.

Well I started construction today. Cut all the pieces and put on a coat of waterseal. They're sittin out in the sun right now. All the advice is much appreciated. I think I'll let em sit out, weather permitting, till Saturday.

BTW NicoDeMayo, I see you're an Atlantian too! Nice to see someone in the area on here. What part of ATL? I'm North, Roswell area.

I'll be starting a new topic with progress pics of the enclosure :)

-Dave

Back
Top Bottom