Safe Branches

Hi everyone! So recently I have noticed that my veiled chameleon's claws are getting kinda long. Not super disabling long, but sometimes he will get caught on the screen or his fake vines. I was wondering if putting in some real branches would help wear them down a bit? And if so would one of you be willing to give me a list of safe branches that I could put in his enclosure? Thanks!

There claws won't get too large per se, but they do find ways to get caught in screens. Some folks put a larger mesh inside the screen to keep this from happening I myself made sure the screen was coated with something. Any old branches from outside will work fine just make sure they are clean, and insect free. Some will bake them for a wile. Or you can always pay outrages prices foe the ones at the pet store. All this being said it wont stop you cham from getting its nails caught until you address the screen itself. Hope this was helpful.

I've never heard of anyone coating the screen. You should have branches in there already, enough that he doesn't need to climb the screen(though they still do sometimes, but if it's constant there's a problem). Some branches can be toxic, so I'd double check just to be safe. No need to bake or clean just use common sense, if it's covered with mold and foot long centipedes consider a different branch.

I've never heard of anyone coating the screen. You should have branches in there already, enough that he doesn't need to climb the screen(though they still do sometimes, but if it's constant there's a problem). Some branches can be toxic, so I'd double check just to be safe. No need to bake or clean just use common sense, if it's covered with mold and foot long centipedes consider a different branch.

Ok, I appreciate that. He does not climb the screen often, though sometimes while exploring he will try. My main concern was that he got caught on his vines. I think some natural wood could help with this and provide some more enrichment.

One thing that can help wear down their claws is to use some branches with natural rough bark. Its easy....get some live tree branches, scrub them (use a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts hot water, rinse until you can't smell the bleach) to remove dirt, rotted areas, bird poop, etc., let them dry thoroughly before using them in the cage. Also, put some in the cage that are larger in diameter than his feet. He will have to grip more tightly with the claw tips to use them.

Back
Top Bottom