Safe antibiotic for 3.5 month Panther Chameleon

alexbrock

So I am taking in my Nosy Be to the vet tomorrow. I just wanted some advice on what is safe or best for a panther. My vet is not a chameleon expert, but he tries....and has done some research in hopes to help me in the future. Thanks everyone, here is a pic of him and what has happened to him. He somehow hurt his toe/nail.

P1000843.jpg
P1000815.jpg

Hey alexbrock, I hope you find a good vet. About antibiotics it would depend on what is going on with the inflamation...

Hey alexbrock, I hope you find a good vet. About antibiotics it would depend on what is going on with the inflamation...

cool thanks. I'm just not familiar with names of antibiotics. I don't want to give him something that might harm him. i hope nothing is spreading or anything. everything is always super clean and i would die if it was worse than just a tiny wound on his toe.

cool thanks. I'm just not familiar with names of antibiotics. I don't want to give him something that might harm him. i hope nothing is spreading or anything. everything is always super clean and i would die if it was worse than just a tiny wound on his toe.

Yeah, I know how you feel...keep us posted on what the vet said...

Nah, don't think that way...medicine and cleening the foot will do the trick...don't panic!.........not yet anyway...

Howdy Alex,

Your vet may recommend Silvadene. It is the most common antibiotic prescribed for chameleons with burns because it is so effective. It would be recommended more often for external infections except that it requires a precription but since you'll be at the vet's office, he'll be able to bottle-up a batch of it. It shouldn't be more than about $20 for an ounce or two. If he gives you a prescription for it, places like CVS etc. can usually fill it cheaply too.

Silvadene Cream 1% (silver sulfadiazine). It may be under other names too.

Hi,
I brought my veiled in to the Vet back in June because her eye was swollen. During her shedding she irritated it and so it was swelled a bit. The Vet gave me Baytril and I had to give her some every day for 3 weeks or so. This worked really well. Not sure if that is what you need here, but it worked for my little one. Cheers.

Sorry guys, the vet visit is tomorrow, my mistake. Thanks for all the good info and kind words. I will keep everyone posted on what happens.

Update

Took him to the vet today. He took a good look at him and said the area was not getting blood circulation. He said it could have been trauma to the area or a bad incomplete shed. He prescribed Metronidazole. He might lose his nail or the area around it, depending on how things go...the Vet said he will most likely lose his nail. It all depends on the exact area affected and what the medication can do for him. Not life threatening, but a big concern with respects to mobility. I hope things work out for the best and the least amount of damage was done.

Back
Top Bottom