Sad but common story

Thompson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Well I put all three of my chameleons outside today, all are in their enclosures. I misted and fed them this morning and I went back inside for an hour then went to go check on them again. Well my veiled chameleon escaped because the flap under the cage door went down and he must have crawled through the opening. I looked every where and I still haven't found him :( Does anyone have any ideas that I could use so I can find him before I bird or cat does :( ?

If I were you I'd seach high and low! Where do you live? because as long as the weather is ok, you might even find him in a day or two. If you've got a female, it could be a good idea to have her out in an enclosure for a while and hope she tempts him to come back. He might not be able to resist! Good luck finding him

I live in Vegas and right now it's about 85 degrees so he should be fine. I'll check on all the trees in my yard and see if he's there. He's only 6 months so I don't think the female trick would work just yet. Thank you though :)

hopefully you'll find him, I would think they stay in one general area anyway, and its summer so he'll be ok outside for a while

Wait until it's getting dark, and search with a flashlight. While sleeping and in the dark, chameleons are a lot easier to find.

Of course, if you can try to find him right now, you should give it a try! But try it out tonight, it might help you out!

Good luck SIR.

Thank you guys! I've been searching every time I go and give some water to my panthers. I'll go searching at night also with a flashlight.

Another trick that may help you out right now is to spray water everywhere. When you do that, sometimes chameleons start to a) move or b) shake from side to side like a leaf. This might help you to notice him. Then again, if you have a very large backyard, this might not be very time-effective, but it may be worth a try :confused:

Also, when searching for a chameleon, always remember to look for different aspects of their body at a time. For example, if you look in a tree for their color, then look for their shape. The brain tries to recognize things based on shapes and colors, but most of the time one at a time. So be aware of that and try using it in a more effective way! :)

I live in a half acre. I will try to look for different parts of his body I was only looking for his head, thanks!

Go get a female veiled! She'll get him to come back I bet :) maybe some other Vegas people can bring one over?

i think instinctively, he will approach a female. he may not be mature but im sure its worth a try. good luck!

hopefully you'll find him, I would think they stay in one general area anyway, and its summer so he'll be ok outside for a while

And you would be wrong to think that...
Members have reported finally finding their chams as much as half a mile away.

Harry

So say I were to find a female, would I just leave her outside all day? Should I ask the person If I could babysitt her for maybe a weekend or something?

Make sure the female is in a cage. You wouldn't necessarily have to leave her outside at night, as they will be asleep.

Back
Top Bottom