Sabel palm

SueAndHerZoo

Established Member
Hi. . I am at a family gathering and they are trying to get rid of some plants, one of them is a Sabal palm looks like a pineapple on the bottom. Can’t find any info as to whether or not this is safe. Help please?

Could it be Sabal palmetto?

I can't find anything either. A search for Sabal Palm toxic turns up a couple of things...
A slightly different plant—Sago Palm— IS toxic, whereas the Sabal Palm is allegedly edible (by humans & dogs).

I'm afraid this is one of those.. my gut says OK, but my brain says not to risk it.

It might still make a nice houseplant or cover for outside the enclosure—at least until we can find some better answers.

I can’t comment on whether or not this particular type of plant is toxic to chameleons, but a sabal palm is definitely an outdoor plant/tree. I would imagine that it would be difficult to keep one alive and healthy indoors (unless you’ve got hundreds of dollars worth of plant lighting over your cham’s cage, and the room they’re kept in is brighter than the sun). It could make for a decent outdoor perch until it gets to be too large, though :)

**I’ve seen fan palms kept in indoor chameleon enclosures. They’re gorgeous and provide a decent amount of coverage.

Thanks. Maybe he called it by the wrong name because he's had it growing indoors for about 5 years now. I didn't take it, just in case. And the part that looks like a pineapple may have scratched the cham's skin so didn't take chances. Thanks for trying to help. :)
Sue

Thanks for the help, guys, and sorry I posted this question twice - first time trying this forum from my phone and I guess I need more practice. I didn't take any of the plants he was offering but can always go back and get them if I change my mind.
Sue

Thanks. Maybe he called it by the wrong name because he's had it growing indoors for about 5 years now. I didn't take it, just in case. And the part that looks like a pineapple may have scratched the cham's skin so didn't take chances. Thanks for trying to help. :)
Sue
I don’t doubt in the least that your relative was able to grow it indoors! I just made the mistake of going off my own experience. I assumed that a palm tree would be too hard to grow without full sun.. Shows what I know, lol. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to help you out with your question :( I myself have done a lot of googling on plants not on the chameleon academy safe list. It can be really difficult to find concrete information on whether or not specific plants poses risk of toxicity to chameleons. It can also be challenging to find large, cham-safe plants for your cage(s).

I’d guess it’s a sago palm and those are toxic. I had a tiny one in my house long ago and my cat used to nibble at it and was ok. I got tired of trying to put it somewhere he couldn’t get to it, so put it outside where it died.

Back
Top Bottom