Rwenzori Pics!

Millz&Jukka

Avid Member
Pics I got of the chameleons I saw in Rwenzori! For reference, I didn't touch them however the guide did which I did point out was likely to be stressful for the cham, but the pictures were all taken of them from a safe distance (i'm also vaxxed and masked when travelling and social distance) and I limited the time they were exposed to us as not to distress them. I had an amazing time and it was incredible to see them in the wild! Plus a skink of some sort too I saw! I've also entered a few into the Wildlife Veterinarian International photo comp along with a few others, so if the voting is public please vote for me haha!

Attachments

• DSCN0288 (2).JPG
    DSCN0288 (2).JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0289 (2).JPG
    DSCN0289 (2).JPG
    265 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0292.JPG
    DSCN0292.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0293.JPG
    DSCN0293.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0295.JPG
    DSCN0295.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN0297.JPG
    DSCN0297.JPG
    283.5 KB · Views: 115
  • DSCN0305.JPG
    DSCN0305.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN0307.JPG
    DSCN0307.JPG
    461.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7570.JPG
    IMG_7570.JPG
    339.8 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7572.JPG
    IMG_7572.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I think Johnstoni male and gravid female and then the other is strange horned (Kinyongia xenorhina) I think, but please correct me if I'm wrong
Yep, you're right: Trioceros johnstoni and Kinyonga xenorhina.

Jeez, those are some nice pics!!!! I would do pretty much anything to see johnstoni in the wild! Hopefully Tanzania opens up sometime soon. I wouldn't mind having some johnstoni in the states.

I'm glad that your trip was successful!

Well it would be good if you could somehow stop the deforestation of the national park but like that's quite a challenge😅
That most definitely is a worthy goal. Digits crossed the National Parks can stop the illegal logging.

Possibly start growing fast growing tree species for charcoal and lumber outside of the park to prevent deforestation inside the park (Eucalyptus and Monterey Pine).

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

That most definitely is a worthy goal. Digits crossed the National Parks can stop the illegal logging.

Possibly start growing fast growing tree species for charcoal and lumber outside of the park to prevent deforestation inside the park (Eucalyptus and Monterey Pine).

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Unfortunately there is already a lot of planting of eucalyptus, palm and pine trees across the country that are fast growing then chopped again, but the deforestation in the park isn't replanted I think it's just left to rewild or plant food in. The RMS guides didn't seem to know what sort of precautions were in place to stop habitat loss within the protected area.

Unfortunately there is already a lot of planting of eucalyptus, palm and pine trees across the country that are fast growing then chopped again, but the deforestation in the park isn't replanted I think it's just left to rewild or plant food in. The RMS guides didn't seem to know what sort of precautions were in place to stop habitat loss within the protected area.
The idea with the Eucalyptus and pine tree planting is for them to be fast available sources of wood for lumber and charcoal for locals. The purpose of that production is then to take encroachment and deforestation pressures off of native forest especially including native forests located in National Parks. There is some reforestation efforts going on in central Africa, I have my digits crossed that techniques can be honed, perfected and programs spread through out the rest of central Africa.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

What an incredible experience! I hope I will be able to to that someday, thanks for sharing! 😄
WOW! That had to be a great trip! Thank you for sharing such wonderful photos.
LukeTheLizard if you do I can't recomment Rwenzori Mountaineering Services enough, they are great and very flexible, and very good at spotting chams! It's my pleasure to share the photos, I'm glad you all enjoyed them! 😁

LukeTheLizard if you do I can't recomment Rwenzori Mountaineering Services enough, they are great and very flexible, and very good at spotting chams! It's my pleasure to share the photos, I'm glad you all enjoyed them! 😁
Sounds awesome! It wouldn't be as fun of a trip if I didn't see any chameleons, so they sound perfect if I do decide to go!

Back
Top Bottom