Rudis expert?

Kat H

I have a rudis about 4-5 months old. His eyes are staying shut whenever i take him out of his cage but appear fine when he's in the humidity in his cage. What could possibly be the issue?Does any one specifically know about the Rudis from experience?

A picture of one of his eyes closed. He keeps opening for a short period then closing it for a while.

Attachments

• IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 109
I wouldn't suggest handling him. It stresses them out, and I have experienced the same thing, where after you pull the chameleon out they close their eyes.

Just to make sure I understand correctly, he does not do that in his enclosure?

Chase

I check in on him often because I'm paranoid, but when i see him he does not do that when he goes back in the cage. I try not to handle him but i hand feed him to make sure he's eating as much as he should.

I also just replaced his UVB bulb to a 13 watts 10.0 so maybe that will help as well. I also purchased a humidifier so make sure its not dry in there

Stop handling him at that age. I've raised more than a few Rudis over the years and many of them just didn't do well if you handled them until they were much older. You've already established the animal is doing fine in it's cage and doesn't do as well when handled.

While we as owners want to handle our pets, I've had a lot of success keeping my desire in check by NOT handling my chams except when needed. My animals have done much better as a result over the decades.

Now just thinking ahead, in case you respond with something about the purpose of a pet is to handle it like somebody else once said, I'll say this : You bought the wrong animal if frequent handling is something you need in order to enjoy a pet.

Minimal handling tends to lead to a longer lifespan

Stop handling him at that age. I've raised more than a few Rudis over the years and many of them just didn't do well if you handled them until they were much older. You've already established the animal is doing fine in it's cage and doesn't do as well when handled.

While we as owners want to handle our pets, I've had a lot of success keeping my desire in check by NOT handling my chams except when needed. My animals have done much better as a result over the decades.

Now just thinking ahead, in case you respond with something about the purpose of a pet is to handle it like somebody else once said, I'll say this : You bought the wrong animal if frequent handling is something you need in order to enjoy a pet.

Minimal handling tends to lead to a longer lifespan

sign me up to your fan club.

I check in on him often because I'm paranoid, but when i see him he does not do that when he goes back in the cage. I try not to handle him but i hand feed him to make sure he's eating as much as he should.

don´t need for that if you use a cup, put the cup inside the terrarium and the insects in the cup you will be able to check if he eats or not :)

I have a rudis about 4-5 months old. His eyes are staying shut whenever i take him out of his cage but appear fine when he's in the humidity in his cage. What could possibly be the issue?Does any one specifically know about the Rudis from experience?

Sometimes chams will shut their eyes during handling because they feel overwhelmed and ready to die. They consider you a big predator that they can't escape from.

Ok so ill start using the cup method. The only reason why i was handling him was because his siblings at the wild life sanctuary that i work at did not make it and i wanted to monitor its food intake. And as an FYI, I didn't buy this pet to take out and handle I know that they are a hands off pet.

Ok so ill start using the cup method. The only reason why i was handling him was because his siblings at the wild life sanctuary that i work at did not make it and i wanted to monitor its food intake. And as an FYI, I didn't buy this pet to take out and handle I know that they are a hands off pet.

that a good mindset:)

Back
Top Bottom