Rubber flex tie as fake vines

PlanetRemulak

Avid Member
My panther baby will be coming next week, so I’m working on tying up loose ends and getting his cage together. I grabbed some rubber coated flex tie from the 99 cent store with the intention of using it as a vine (it didn’t come pre-braided, I did that). Thoughts? If the general consensus is that the rubber might retain bacteria or otherwise be unsafe to use, it’s no problem. I’ll use it for one of my gardening projects outside. I’ll be using so many branches that fake vines probably won’t even be necessary!

Attachments

• 797521A6-DD1E-48CE-BA35-426121C09305.jpeg
    797521A6-DD1E-48CE-BA35-426121C09305.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 7086F7D5-21F2-48F5-8FAD-9E25DFCD7CD0.jpeg
    7086F7D5-21F2-48F5-8FAD-9E25DFCD7CD0.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 72
Following I’m curious my self .... I was gona try electric wire an dip it in flex seal then coat it with cocoa
These type of things have been done... They are very hard to clean though and can easily grow bacteria. Also take longer to dry out which is not good for cham feet.

It smells like absolutely nothing. My fiancé apparently got a kick out of me taking a huge whiff of rubber coated wire, though lol
Well wait for others to chime in. My only first thought is if there is any off gases from it. I do not know that I would use it but I over worry.

My concern is what type of plastic/rubber and how is that going to hold up to heat. Also panthers lick everything.

These vines in the small size are great for babies. If you would rather be safer. https://www.chewy.com/flukers-bend-branch-reptiles/dp/129127?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Fluker's&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgdbrpa3N8QIVBBx9Ch1yeAAKEAQYASABEgJfB_D_BwE
Yeah, I’d absolutely prefer to be safe than sorry. The packaging advertised it as garden wire, but that still doesn’t really indicate one way or the other whether it would be okay to use with live animals. Thank you!

I’ll be using so many branches that fake vines probably won’t even be necessary!
(y) I've never used fake anything—as you say, not necessary. Live plants provide ample climbing. and the live vines ( Philodendron hederaceum ) and ( Tradescantia zebrina ) I planted are growing over a foot per month.

I never did find a Madagascar Jasmine like I wanted, so Missus got some seeds online. Unfortunately I'm told it's a slow-grower. 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately I'm told it's a slow-grower
True and not true 😌
6 months nothing happened, no leaves falling off, no discoloring, no new leaves or whatsoever. And now, 2-3 weeks ago it started growing a new vine, well it’s now almost 40” long with fresh green leaves 😳😳, never seen anything grow that fast. I think it only blooms and grows a certain period a year, however don’t know it for sure. Maybe you will have your first vine soon 🤞🏻

True and not true 😌
6 months nothing happened, no leaves falling off, no discoloring, no new leaves or whatsoever. And now, 2-3 weeks ago it started growing a new vine, well it’s now almost 40” long with fresh green leaves 😳😳, never seen anything grow that fast. I think it only blooms and grows a certain period a year, however don’t know it for sure. Maybe you will have your first vine soon 🤞🏻
I see what you mean. Did you plant from seeds, and did you prune it?
https://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/madagascar-jasmine.html

I'm not sure if the Missus has them in a pot yet. I don't even know if what she got were individual seeds or pods. 🤷‍♂️

Seems to be a lot of conflict/discrepancies in the online literature; it's almost as bad as keeping/raising chameleons. :eek:

Seems to be a lot of conflict/discrepancies in the online literature; it's almost as bad as keeping/raising chameleons. :eek:
🤣🤣🤣🤣

I have bought it as a grown plant and planted it in the “bioactive“ soil (with CuC) from the free range setup. It started suddenly growing out of an old vine.

This was the 21th of June and is now at least 40” and growing around the Schefflera. I’ll make a picture tomorrow morning.

ECF46CBC-2EB5-4715-9850-8A354E3311DF.jpeg

(y) I've never used fake anything—as you say, not necessary. Live plants provide ample climbing. and the live vines ( Philodendron hederaceum ) and ( Tradescantia zebrina ) I planted are growing over a foot per month.

I never did find a Madagascar Jasmine like I wanted, so Missus got some seeds online. Unfortunately I'm told it's a slow-grower. 🤷‍♂️

I think the wait time is the only drawback to growing your own plants for your chameleon‘s enclosure. Otherwise, there isn’t a better way to get exactly what you’re after! I love Madagascar Jasmine but I won’t even bother looking for in stores around here (I’m having a hard enough time finding an umbrella tree).

I hope you get some nice growth from your seeds!

I think the wait time is the only drawback to growing your own plants for your chameleon‘s enclosure. Otherwise, there isn’t a better way to get exactly what you’re after! I love Madagascar Jasmine but I won’t even bother looking for in stores around here (I’m having a hard enough time finding an umbrella tree).

I hope you get some nice growth from your seeds!
Oh, I got pretty much all the plants I was after—Dracaena fragrans, Schefflera arboricola, Ficus benjamina, Ficus elastica, Tradescantia zebrina, Philodendron hederaceum, Dracaena trifasciata....

The local dearth of Stephanotis floribunda seems to be geographical; being a tropical plant it won't survive winters here in the northeastern US, and there doesn't seem to be much interest in raising it as a houseplant.

Local garden & big-box stores are stinking with dwarf umbrella trees. 🤷‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom