Rubber Ducky Isopods

KobaOregonherper

Chameleon Enthusiast
Not sure if anyone here is into culturing isopods, but I've been looking into raising some SE Asian species. But...finding them is impossible. Feel free to message me if you do. I also want them for my tropical vivariums and bioactive setups.

Sorry, everywhere seems sold out that I know of. Have you tried FB?

Currently scrolling through the Facebook isopod group lol.
I've been coveting the rubber duckies, too! They're so darn expensive even when they are available, though

I almost bought some for 20$ a piece a month or so ago... now I'm wishing I'd just shoveled out the 200$ and started a culture.

I've been thinking of making a FB again just to join the different critter groups. So many buying/selling options.

So I've never looked into the rubber ducky isos. I've been more into the giant Spanish isopods, but I have a few others as well. So what is it about these that make them so popular? Just unique and rare, or are they superior to other species regarding bio enclosures?

I've been thinking of making a FB again just to join the different critter groups. So many buying/selling options.

So I've never looked into the rubber ducky isos. I've been more into the giant Spanish isopods, but I have a few others as well. So what is it about these that make them so popular? Just unique and rare, or are they superior to other species regarding bio enclosures?

Unique and rare. Hard to find in the wild so culturing them is a process. They look awesome as well. They're also larger and eat dead skin relatively fast, so in a bio active set up they'd been wonderful.

Starting to feel like not only is the government and Google watching my search history... but so is chameleonforums.com..... I spent a while looking at isopods this morning and rubber duckys in particular (curiousity). I ended up getting a bundle of montenegro, dubrovnik, and 2 other armadillidium species on ebay. What is happening to me??

Seemed like whoever has rubber duckys aren't selling them. They look cool - but not sure who would risk putting $250 isopods in with something that may eat them.

Rubber duckies are actually not that large. They're around 3/4 of an inch. The Spanish species are larger. Also, Cubaris are known for taking their sweet a** time to breed, so getting a large enough population to use as clean up crew is going to take a decent amount of time. That's probably why everybody is sold out. For some sellers you even have to get on a waiting list since they're so popular right now. And yes, you cannot sell isopods on FB anymore, sad.

Rubber duckies are actually not that large. They're around 3/4 of an inch. The Spanish species are larger. Also, Cubaris are known for taking their sweet a** time to breed, so getting a large enough population to use as clean up crew is going to take a decent amount of time. That's probably why everybody is sold out. For some sellers you even have to get on a waiting list since they're so popular right now. And yes, you cannot sell isopods on FB anymore, sad.

Thanks for posting! So now that FB isn't an option, where do people sell critters from?

People still sell them on FB but you have to message them directly to get prices and stuff. I guess the thing now is that sellers can't post what they're selling. Also, there are many websites out there with people selling isopods. Honestly, the majority of people selling on FB already have a website

Most have started a sister page on MeWe too. @jamest0o0 I'll get with you on the hoffs again soon. Had a family issue come up that I'm still wrapping my head around.

Last edited:
People are threatening to come back here to list sales and many are moving to MeWe. I will likely be heading that way soon.

There are local Maryland FB reptile groups where people sell their feeders and pets. Maybe FB “Marketplace” restricts them but the groups are still an option - and probably a wider audience. The MD one has a lot of activity.

They are threatening to eliminate FB groups that violate the sales ban too many times. So now you have to go on and post an ISO ad.

I would love to see a picture of these.

Here's the duckys. Screenshot_2019-05-01-19-06-32.png

Never heard of mewe. All good though, no rush. Hope things are alright for you

No one died at least but much of my plans have been tossed upside down lol. I knew nothing about MeWe either but some of the groups have links to the sister page.

Back
Top Bottom