Rub-A-Dub-Dub! Chams in the tub?!

missmelissann21

I want to give my Mumford a shower!!!

This dry winter air is making him... slower than normal.

QUESTIONS:::

How old should the Cham be?

How long should the shower be?

What should the water temp be?

Any other comments welcomed!!!!

(fyi i do plan on keeping watch the whole time and giving him fake plants to hide under and cling to)

I want to give my Mumford a shower!!!

This dry winter air is making him... slower than normal.

QUESTIONS:::

Any other comments welcomed!!!!

(fyi i do plan on keeping watch the whole time and giving him fake plants to hide under and cling to)

Awesome! I love giving my little guy a shower... Hugh is almost 4 months old but don't know if being younger would be safe.

I usually leave him in for about 10 to 15 minutes just to make sure he drinks a little while in there.

The water should feel warm to the touch, not too warm but not too cold either...

Is he dehydrated? Does he like it when you mist him with warm water? My little guy HATED being misted at first but now enjoys it and even drinks while I mist him. Try it out and if you notice him trying to get away from the water just take him out and try some other time. :) Some Cham's love it while others hate it so. Once you find out whether he likes it or not, you can give him a weekly shower just to make sure he is well hydrated. :)

4-5+ months

5-30 minutes

DONT use hot or warm water. Warm to you is hot to them as they are cold blooded. Room temp or temperatures into the 80s is fine. (you will need a thermometer if you want it higher than room temp.)

I havent got Albert in the shower yet, I put towels on the shower curtain rod and let the shower run (hot) awhile and let him walk back and forth on the towels. I take a paper towel,soak it with the warm water and drizzle him. He really likes it and the steam is good for his eyes and skin. I hope to get him in the shower sometime...

PLEASE be careful!! If you do live in a highly populated area check your water for chlorine and other chemicals, It can be irratating for your Cham. I live in the country and have a well, so it's not a concern. Sometimes I wonder if humans should have just left these beautiful creatures alone on Madagascar...

With the shower stuff isn't it a concern if they drink the water? Isn't there chlorine in it?

Not only chlorine but in some cases other harmful things that can and will hurt our animals.
This is why only the people with reverse osmosis systems hooked up to all their water lines can use showers.

Be aware. Be very aware of what you do before you do anything for your animals.

Harry

warpdrive gave some excellent advice there, most people never consider the chemicals and other nasty stuff in water.... I only use spring water for misting etc...

I give my panther a shower at least once a week. He loves it. I make the temp feel like the room and slightly warmer at times. You will know if the temp is right by the way he reacts. Showers have alot of benefits. Hydration, cleaning their eyes and its good for their skin. I leave him in the shower any where from 10 to 30 minutes.

Average human skin temperature is about 89 degrees, so if it feels neutral, neither hot nor cold, it's probably a reasonable temperature.

There's been a lot of debate on the chlorine issue (me, I'm more scared of fluoride) but I've seen it suggested that water in small droplets sheds chlorine in almost no time. When you consider that substantial quantities can be de-chlorinated by simple exposing it to air and stirring occasionally for 24 hours it does sort of make sense.

Is there a reverse osmosis system that is easy to hook up to a shower, or do you have to attach it farther down the water line?

Back
Top Bottom