Rough Start

heyooocera

Good Morning everyone!
I have had my new baby veiled chameleon Maui for two days now and my ENTIRE city is out of crickets. I had about 150 and the dropped the cage that i keep them in and lost all but about 15. As of last night he's eaten about 12 of the 15 remaining crickets. I also bought some wax worms and small horn worms as treats. Would it be okay to feed him the wax worms and horn worms until i can get more crickets or is there something else i should try to get in the meantime? The quickest i can get crickets based on new shipments to the stores is Wednesday morning. I know that young chameleons should be eating lots of nutritious insects and those are not ideal as a main diet. Please help i'm worried about my little guy.

Good morning. Welcome to the group. I would start with the horn worms first and feed the wax worms sparingly until you get some more crickets. You might also try small dubia's if any place around you has them. :)

Good morning. Welcome to the group. I would start with the horn worms first and feed the wax worms sparingly until you get some more crickets. You might also try small dubia's if any place around you has them. :)
I have looked everywhere for Dubia's as well all they have are the giant african roaches that are bigger than he is lol. I've tried feeding him the horn worms but he simply wont take it. I made a insect container and attached it to the side of his enclosure so that he can eat them as he wants them since he is very scared of me currently but they just sit in there he won't touch them.

Good Morning everyone!
I have had my new baby veiled chameleon Maui for two days now and my ENTIRE city is out of crickets. I had about 150 and the dropped the cage that i keep them in and lost all but about 15. As of last night he's eaten about 12 of the 15 remaining crickets. I also bought some wax worms and small horn worms as treats. Would it be okay to feed him the wax worms and horn worms until i can get more crickets or is there something else i should try to get in the meantime? The quickest i can get crickets based on new shipments to the stores is Wednesday morning. I know that young chameleons should be eating lots of nutritious insects and those are not ideal as a main diet. Please help i'm worried about my little guy.
Mealworms are not recommended but if they are in EVERY PET STORE so i would say use them temporarly until u get crickets

I have looked everywhere for Dubia's as well all they have are the giant african roaches that are bigger than he is lol. I've tried feeding him the horn worms but he simply wont take it. I made a insect container and attached it to the side of his enclosure so that he can eat them as he wants them since he is very scared of me currently but they just sit in there he won't touch them.
he may be intimidated by the size of the horn worms could u provide a picture of his size

The horn worms that i found are very small and he could eat them easily.
1601910264607.png

be cautious about free feeding the hornworms. They have a very strong grip, and have been know to dislocate chameleon tongues occasionally. I only hand feed them, or have them in something like a tuperware so they can't hang on when the cham tags them.

I provided a photo below.
i see he may just not want to eat them since he is so new i would recommend trying to see if he eats the wax worms just try to give him 2 if he eats them he may just be afraid of the hornworms have u looked for BSFL

Back
Top Bottom