Rolly Pollies?

Yeah

Yeah, i've seen a lot of people give rolly pollies to their chams... is that a problem, and should i stay away from them?:confused:

Well im not 100% but i know wild caught insets could be carriers of pesticiedes and other bad stuff. Im sure someone else might have better info for u soon

I wasn't clear on the bug, never heard of that before. Armadillidiidae. You should be weary feeding off wild bugs, you don't know where they come from, they may have eaten something toxic.

Generally, don't do it. Unless your positive they come from a good Clean source. I have a large acreage out of the nearest city/town by about an hour. Grasshoppers will be clean there.
Also be weary of that, just because your in the country doesn't mean that big field isn't full of pesticides from the farmer.

Even after that though, I will make sure to "flush" them by gutloading them for a at least 2-3 days, if not a week. to make sure they got clean and nutritious guts.

Wild caught rollie pollies are known to accumulate high levels of heavy metals and are not good for feeding to your chameleon. You can breed wild caught rollie pollies and separate the babies to feed off, but don't feed the original wild caught ones.

Btw, they are also known as isopods or "pill bugs".

I hope I'm not coming off as a know it all, But interesting fact these things aren't insects at all. they are crustaceans, some form of land shrimp. Blew me away when I read it. They look like bugs to me.

The previous posts are dead on!!! Do not feed wild caught isopods to your chameleon. They have already told you why!!!Let the wild caught breed and use/keep the young or buy some from a reputable supplier. I breed 4 types of isopod/pill bugs/sow bugs/roilypolys and they are fantastic feeders but just not good from the wild in most cases.

I hope I'm not coming off as a know it all, But interesting fact these things aren't insects at all. they are crustaceans, some form of land shrimp. Blew me away when I read it. They look like bugs to me.

I read that too. That they are crustaceans! Seems weird since we think of crustaceans only as sea dwelling. Somehow when I read that it made sense though. Both crustaceans and insects belong to the phylum Arthropoda.

Ha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who calls them "rollie pollies"! You must be originally from the Midwest ;)

We call them rollie pollies, and potato bugs, and I'm from Indiana. used to love playing with them as kids, they always fascinated me. I would touch them so they would roll up hence the name rollie pollie and play with them like a cat. crazy isn't it.:D

Too bad you can't feed wild ones to your pet because in the summer my house is infested with them. I must have some water issue some where just haven't found it yet.

How about slugs, I get a lot of those as well. I had a vet tell me that the benefits of feeding your cham wild caught bugs far out weight the risk of parasites. However this was about 13 years ago things have changed since then

I been thinking of adding some of these to my potted plants as a clean up crew like a viv set up.. not sure if it will work, but as I have a colony of these and springtails.. I figured why not?? if they eat them fine.. but as they are a bottom of the food chain and eats refuse.. . yeh wild ones.. have a huge potential to be a concentration of toxins..

Rollie Pollies

Ok ... i get it. :) Thank you for letting me know about these weird little creatures :D ive only fed them to him like twice..... Thank You alot though!

How about slugs, I get a lot of those as well. I had a vet tell me that the benefits of feeding your cham wild caught bugs far out weight the risk of parasites. However this was about 13 years ago things have changed since then

I'm not sure about slugs, but you can feed your chams snails for sure. Unfortunately, you will probably need to acquire them wild caught and then breed them for several generations to rid them of the parasites, which could take a couple years.

Back
Top Bottom