Rods

djdanny402

So as of late I've been adding foliage to my chameleon , Rex,s cage. I wanted to add my branches and perching areas for him as well.
I was curious as Ive seen people use wooden rods or dowels to go across as perches and such,
any one know where to find them?

also any other cool ideas?

I currently have 3 branches from a tree outside I boiled and froze, and used tie wires to attach.
I recently removed them though just as a precaution as I found out the tree is dying for unknown reasons.

Well for the branches, i am no expert on dying trees, but if you boiled them i doubt anything is on them that'll cause problems.

I personally am one of those foam crazy people. I use light diffuser and great stuff foam to make a wall, then just stick the branches in it. I also attach plant pots this way.

@djdanny402 wooden rods work great, and you can most likely find them in all sorts of sizes at a local craft store. Personally, I've found that smaller pieces of sticks that I collect while trimming up my trees work fantastic, and look nice too. Just be sure to treat any branches or even rods before using them! Chameleons do seems to love any branches that go straight across like that.

Well for the branches, i am no expert on dying trees, but if you boiled them i doubt anything is on them that'll cause problems.

I personally am one of those foam crazy people. I use light diffuser and great stuff foam to make a wall, then just stick the branches in it. I also attach plant pots this way.

I need a lesson in the foam stuff... is it easy to use?

Yeah it's great. What i recommend doing is using light diffuser egg crate for the base of it, like dart frog keepers do. Maybe grab a couple cans of cheaper great stuff to practice with on a piece of cardboard or whatever (you want to use the pond&stone black foam for the cage, but it's a little more expensive). Don't do what i did as a foam newbie and waste like $80 worth of it because i screwed up. It's not difficult though just have to get a feel for it and how you want it to come out.

Note:
-use it outside and i recommend a respirator, eye protection, and disposable gloves. The fumes while it's drying are terrible for you and it is VERY sticky. If you get it on anything, it's not coming off. I have designated jeans and hoody for it lol. It'll stay on your hands for days or longer too.
-if you cut or sand the foam after it dries, make sure to reseal it with aquarium safe silicone. The inside of foam has tons of tiny pores which is mold and bacteria just waiting to grow.

I just ordered a bunch on amazon, "great stuff pond and stone" type. I think it was about 8$ a can when i bought it. I know home depot and those kind of places have great stuff, but a lot of times they don't have the pond and stone(from what i saw at least).

On Amazon I see Foam ($24) and Foam Sealant ($11) ... do you need both?

Could I use this in a smaller viv? or is this best/worth doing in a larger/custom viv?

Go down to your local river, preferably a big one with shard turns. Find the biggest sharpest turn you can and walk the outside bank. There should be piles of weathered driftwood scattered about. Best of all they are free, especially when a retail store wants $22 for a stick!

You should be able to find driftwood of every color, type, size, grain pattern you can imagine, and IMO they look way better than any stick you can buy, even the expensive ones!

I usually embed the driftwood into my walls with foam as James mentioned above. They look better in the foam and you don't have to worry about that tie wire breaking some day and hurting or killing your Cham!

upload_2017-4-12_11-51-30.png

Go down to your local river, preferably a big one with shard turns. Find the biggest sharpest turn you can and walk the outside bank. There should be piles of weathered driftwood scattered about. Best of all they are free, especially when a retail store wants $22 for a stick!

You should be able to find driftwood of every color, type, size, grain pattern you can imagine, and IMO they look way better than any stick you can buy, even the expensive ones!

I usually embed the driftwood into my walls with foam as James mentioned above. They look better in the foam and you don't have to worry about that tie wire breaking some day and hurting or killing your Cham!

View attachment 180289

That branch looks perfect for what I want!

When i did my foam, and after it dried, i shaped it to look like natural stone and then covered it this this spray, its absolutely worth the extra time and money. I defiantly recommend you put a clear coat on it and let it dry and air out for a good week before you install it.
upload_2017-4-12_13-45-14.png

You can also get Great Stuff pond foam at Home Depot on line. Have it delivered to your local store and you don't have to pay for shipping, around 8$ a can.
Once you start using a can plan to use it all because it will seal the can shut once you stop.

Back
Top Bottom