Rocky's new cage

crow22

Hi to all members is nice to be back and here is rocky's new cage took me few days to build it but was worth.:) Here is few pics.

Attachments

• shrink2.jpg
    shrink2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 261
  • shrink3.jpg
    shrink3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 201
  • shrink4.jpg
    shrink4.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 171
  • shrink5.jpg
    shrink5.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 182
  • shrink7.jpg
    shrink7.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 178
Booshified is right about the screen, or lack thereof. How are you providing ventilation in the cage?

Also, how does your drainage system work? Is that masonite on the floor of the cage? It warps and rots quite easily in high moisture situations (if your cage isn't a high moisture situation, you probably aren't watering your cham enough...)

Finally, add more plants... Always good to have it as densely planted as possible.

Good work on the cage. You seem to have enough building talent to make whatever improvements are necessary to make it an excellent cage.

Yeah man, I totally dig the interior layout, but you should probably think about removing the plexiglass unless its well ventilated. From the looks of your cage, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to do.

I'm not sure how plexiglass works acoustically, but I'd be willing to bet that Clyde appreciates being able to hear me coming in and out of the room. I don't spook him as much. He's not as closed off.

As for the bottom, if Tygrr is right, then thats also an easy fix, you seem to know what you're doing as far as construction goes.

Last edited:
Yea cage is not totaly finish but if you look on top is big screen opening around 35x25 screen.on the side and at the back i will do some openings for better ventilation i'll use small round vent. openings i saw those at the Rona and Home Depo.Here on the second pic. is the screen i do use on the top of the cage.I'll do anything for my cham to be healty and happy is one year old and i never had any problem.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 179
The screen panel at the top will certainly help with ventilation, but it still might not be enough, even with those side vents. You'll have to keep an eye on the humidity levels, as well as how long it takes the cage to dry out between mistings.
As Davemailcall said, it shouldn't be too difficult to convert some of those plexiglass panels to screen ones if you needed to.

I'm not sure how plexiglass works acoustically, but I'd be willing to bet that Clyde appreciates being able to hear me coming in and out of the room.
Chameleons are actually thought to be deaf, since they lack middle and outer ears. Their range of hearing is supposedly too limited to hear danger or even food approaching. There is well documented evidence that they are sensitive to vibrations though, and may even use low-frequency vibrations to communicate (see Infrasound in chameleons).
So it's more likely that your cham will feel your footsteps approaching, rather than hear you coming - the plexiglass won't make a difference to that.

Chameleons are actually thought to be deaf, since they lack middle and outer ears. Their range of hearing is supposedly too limited to hear danger or even food approaching. There is well documented evidence that they are sensitive to vibrations though, and may even use low-frequency vibrations to communicate (see Infrasound in chameleons).
So it's more likely that your cham will feel your footsteps approaching, rather than hear you coming - the plexiglass won't make a difference to that.

You learn something new everyday! That truly is amazing. I'm going to do more research into it. Of course, it probably won't keep me from talking to him! I guess its more for me than it is him :)

You learn something new everyday! That truly is amazing. I'm going to do more research into it. Of course, it probably won't keep me from talking to him! I guess its more for me than it is him :)

Something even more interesting along the same lines as this, is that there are some species that actuallysend signals by vibrating or buzzing. I know Kinyonga has a link or a list for the species that are known to do this. I've personally seen (or rather felt) it in R.brevicaudatus and R.temporalis.

Hey there........I was wondering about your lighting. I would suggest that you get a longer hood for your flourescent UV lighting so that it covers the whole length of the cage. Your cage is nice and big. Your UV lighting only covers half the cage. It looks wide enough to fit the basking bulb in front of or in back of a hood. So what kind of cham is Rocky?

Back
Top Bottom