Rock biting behavior?

radstusky

Avid Member
My almost 9 month old Sambava is in good health, at least as far as I can tell. I noticed this morning that he was on the bottom his cage biting some rocks. He was down there earlier hunting a few crickets, so him going to the floor of the cage isn't that abnormal. His colors are fine too. I fed him about 10 crickets this morning and he hunted them all down pretty fast, and is still hunting around his cage. Of course the rocks I have on the bottom are big "river rocks" so he shouldn't be able to actually swallow any. I may go through them and remove any that are even close to swallowable. It seemed he was biting on the rocks pretty hard too, I was worried he might break a tooth! If he does it again I'll try to get a video.

Has anyone observed this kind of behavior before? And know what it might indicate?

oh, Romeo's bro is misbehavin'! I have read things on this thread of chams chewing on all kinds of stuff, I am not sure what the reasoning is! I am sure someone will chime in here. Glad to hear Leo is still chowing down and digging the crickets! I am just gutloading mine and watching them grow Bigger and BIGGER! The little shit still wont touch them!!

Mine used to go after the shiny light colored rocks. They were too big for them to swallow of course. Since they only went for the light colored shiny ones it made me think they might be thinking they were wet and were thirsty, even though their dripper goes all the time. Once I took out the light ones they didn't mess with the darker rocks at all.

Back
Top Bottom