Roaches vs Substrate

I've taken to tossing possibly burrowing feeders in a deli cup, and take it out when Kiz is done. Doesn't mess with the aesthetics, and it's cheap! I just cozy it up in the branches.

Yes, you have to be picky about species. Runners don’t burrow, nor do orangeheads. Talk to @jamest0o0, he’ll be able to set you up with a suitable species.
OHs dont burrow? My OHs live burrowed lol, they have 3 inches of substrate in their viv, and they only come out of it to eat and drink. Males are the exception, adult males seem to inhabit the cork rounds, and flats. Females and Juveniles I dont see unless I dig through the substrate. They are the only roach that I have kept that does in fact burrow. They are well known as burrowing roaches, they live burrowed in the wild as well. Most care sheets say to give them soil so they can, the ones that say not to say so because they burrow and are hard to get out of the substrate.

If you mean they dont burrow in when placed in a viv, I have never tried to do that, always fed them via cup. However when I take one out and then put it back in the viv it burrows again immediately.

Hissers do not burrow, but they will hide wherever they can find a place to do so.

Last edited:
Weird, my orangeheads don’t burrow at all. I haven’t had them long, but they’re always on the egg crates, not in the substrate.

Weird, my orangeheads don’t burrow at all. I haven’t had them long, but they’re always on the egg crates, not in the substrate.

Hmm that is weird, I use cork rounds not egg crates that could be part of it, could also be a humidity thing. They like really high humidity, so maybe yours is high enough to where they dont feel the need to burrow, and mine isnt or something. Thats weird, mine barely come up for air lol, Especially the babies.

They dont just barely burrow either, they dig down to the glass, I lift the tank and you can see a ton of little roach bellys. It could also be a heat thing, but mine are back heated, and my tape runs at 100f (thats as hot as I can get it, sometimes it wont even hit 100) so about 80ish in the tank, near the back 75ish in the front by the food.

My hissers dont burrow at all, the newborns hide under the food dishes, but they dont burrow ever at all.

Hmm that is weird, I use cork rounds not egg crates that could be part of it, could also be a humidity thing. They like really high humidity, so maybe yours is high enough to where they dont feel the need to burrow, and mine isnt or something. Thats weird, mine barely come up for air lol, Especially the babies.

They dont just barely burrow either, they dig down to the glass, I lift the tank and you can see a ton of little roach bellys. It could also be a heat thing, but mine are back heated, and my tape runs at 100f (thats as hot as I can get it, sometimes it wont even hit 100) so about 80ish in the tank, near the back 75ish in the front by the food.

My hissers dont burrow at all, the newborns hide under the food dishes, but they dont burrow ever at all.
All mine are in a greenhouse; that’s probably it.

Back
Top Bottom