Roaches Galore - Dubia mayhem

Yak

:)Having a great deal of difficulty finding a good source for Dubia roaches. Mainly knowing the inconsistent pricing.
This is not a joke, but I’ve found them ranging from 0.01 cents to $1.01 each! I live in the SF bay area. Nothing is normal here, but come on!
I went to CL and someone advertised 20 pregnant roaches for $20.
The next guy said he had too many, when I email he said 100 roaches for $10.00, I said OK, then one hour before meeting he told me he got a better offer, $15.00 for the same 100 roaches.
Some other guy was selling his colony of 1000 for 100.00 but the same, each hour the price kept going up.
The store nears by sells them at $12.00 for 25 roaches. Someone else offers them at .50 cents apiece, 50 roaches for $25.00
A lot of great deals can be found near Sacramento, Stockton, and Fresno. And what I mean by great deals is finding them at .05 cents each (100 for $5.00)
Any ideas?
Sarcastic, rude and ironic commentaries need not too reply, thanks. Only serious replies by honest and sincere individuals. Thank you very much.

:)Having a great deal of difficulty finding a good source for Dubia roaches. Mainly knowing the inconsistent pricing.
This is not a joke, but I’ve found them ranging from 0.01 cents to $1.01 each! I live in the SF bay area. Nothing is normal here, but come on!
I went to CL and someone advertised 20 pregnant roaches for $20.
The next guy said he had too many, when I email he said 100 roaches for $10.00, I said OK, then one hour before meeting he told me he got a better offer, $15.00 for the same 100 roaches.
Some other guy was selling his colony of 1000 for 100.00 but the same, each hour the price kept going up.
The store nears by sells them at $12.00 for 25 roaches. Someone else offers them at .50 cents apiece, 50 roaches for $25.00
A lot of great deals can be found near Sacramento, Stockton, and Fresno. And what I mean by great deals is finding them at .05 cents each (100 for $5.00)
Any ideas?
Sarcastic, rude and ironic commentaries need not too reply, thanks. Only serious replies by honest and sincere individuals. Thank you very much.

People who deal in roaches beat to a different drum.

Someone sold out their own word to you, for five bucks. Thats funny if it weren't so sad. That being said, I gotta go feed my dubia...

I ordered some from West Coast Roaches awhile back. Been resisting using them as feeders until they build up a colony. They shipped fast and price was fair.

CL is hit or miss on most things. If you find a "deal" chances are it disappears into thin air by the next e-mail they get. They'll sometimes sell it out from under you on your drive over to pick up. Those types of people don't realize that they are the source of their own failure in life.

I'd go with members of chameleonforums that promise fair pricing and overcounts. Check the feeders for sale. If I had extra, I'd send them your way for the cost of shipping.

Check the forum classifieds. There's a member named Ponders selling some. She's local to me, but looks like she ships so if you think her price is right that may be an option. I don't think a forum member will jerk you around like the CL people.

I was at a local reptile store today and apparently they are having a moderately difficult time with getting dubias, especially bigger ones right now. You're close enough you might be experiencing some sort of regional shortage. It is bearded dragon season, maybe they are eating up all the available roaches!?

I have seen a wild variation in price though. I'm working on my own colony to avoid that problem. Its just so easy to toss in leftover fruits and veggies and wipe out once in awhile...

see if you can locate any local cricket farms or feeder breeders, i found one well established for years 5 minutes away from me, they sell 200 dubias for $15, 50 hornworms for $12, and 1000 crickets for $15 and since im close, no shipping :)

I would suggest asking a CL seller if you could come by to take a look. Take your cash with you, because money talks. If the guy is asking $10, then take out the $10 pay him and walk away with your roaches. It's when you try to haggle on the phone and get a price set that you seem to be having your problems. Trying to do business on the phone gives a seller too much time to think,"Gee, if I could get $10 that easy, I'll bet he'd pay $15." In person he has no time to change his mind.
Good luck on your next try. By the way, you might want to try that guy again tomorrow and see if he's back to $10 again.

Hello
Thank you for your response everyone, it really helps me sort out what goes on, as your opinion is of great value to me, even though I don’t know you in person I can tell youre great people.
Best regards,

People who deal in roaches beat to a different drum.

Someone sold out their own word to you, for five bucks. Thats funny if it weren't so sad. That being said, I gotta go feed my dubia...

Yes, hard to believe isn't it?
Heck, at the show some one was selling crickets for 15.00 per thousand, I paid more because that guy once shipped me the crickets at his expense, even if I marked will call on the form.

I figure I stick true to my word, but youre right that's sad. Thank you for writing.

I ordered some from West Coast Roaches awhile back. Been resisting using them as feeders until they build up a colony. They shipped fast and price was fair.

CL is hit or miss on most things. If you find a "deal" chances are it disappears into thin air by the next e-mail they get. They'll sometimes sell it out from under you on your drive over to pick up. Those types of people don't realize that they are the source of their own failure in life.

I'd go with members of chameleonforums that promise fair pricing and overcounts. Check the feeders for sale. If I had extra, I'd send them your way for the cost of shipping.

thank you so kind Mike, and youre right about some CL folks, who knows, it might be the roaches themselves typing to scape in the scheme of things.

Check the forum classifieds. There's a member named Ponders selling some. She's local to me, but looks like she ships so if you think her price is right that may be an option. I don't think a forum member will jerk you around like the CL people.

Yes, that would be great, I will check her out, I don't mind the shipping as long as I know im getting a fair deal.
Thanks for the lead.

I was at a local reptile store today and apparently they are having a moderately difficult time with getting dubias, especially bigger ones right now. You're close enough you might be experiencing some sort of regional shortage. It is bearded dragon season, maybe they are eating up all the available roaches!?

I have seen a wild variation in price though. I'm working on my own colony to avoid that problem. Its just so easy to toss in leftover fruits and veggies and wipe out once in awhile...

I have a male adult Jackson who loves them
one juvenile female Jackson and a juvenile male panther who eat them but the smaller size and the baby panther who doesn't touch them.

Five dubias a day is what I need. Havent figured it out yet. The crickets I managed to keep healthy and alive. Got about 800 now still from the show....

see if you can locate any local cricket farms or feeder breeders, i found one well established for years 5 minutes away from me, they sell 200 dubias for $15, 50 hornworms for $12, and 1000 crickets for $15 and since im close, no shipping :)

that's a great price!

I would suggest asking a CL seller if you could come by to take a look. Take your cash with you, because money talks. If the guy is asking $10, then take out the $10 pay him and walk away with your roaches. It's when you try to haggle on the phone and get a price set that you seem to be having your problems. Trying to do business on the phone gives a seller too much time to think,"Gee, if I could get $10 that easy, I'll bet he'd pay $15." In person he has no time to change his mind.
Good luck on your next try. By the way, you might want to try that guy again tomorrow and see if he's back to $10 again.

I drive a Durango 5.9 V8, 11mpg by the time I get there, is a gamble. I wouldn't mind paying the five bucks, it's the principle, but you're right, once people realize raising roaches didn't cost them a dime, (I mean the regular at home breeder) to them its just a number's game. In theory it's all good, the problem is some are shady.

I drive a Durango 5.9 V8, 11mpg by the time I get there, is a gamble. I wouldn't mind paying the five bucks, it's the principle, but you're right, once people realize raising roaches didn't cost them a dime, (I mean the regular at home breeder) to them its just a number's game. In theory it's all good, the problem is some are shady.

Hehe, the R/T...I have a 5.9 too. Shes red and was a real looker back when she was new.

wow, some fellow in Woodland CA is willing to give me 500 for 20 bucks, Nuff said, im heading to cacaville to meet him

Back
Top Bottom