roaches breeding in house?

Snail Tail

Hey,

I was thinking into getting a colony of blabtica dubia roaches. Everyone always tells me all the good sides of them, but I know there has to be some bad ones. The main thing I am concerned about is if they escape. Will they breed? My chameleon room is kept in the low 80s, it is somewhat humid (I would say around 50%), and there is always a spot on the rug that is wet from water spilling, etc. I will be using feeding cups so I wouldn't think too many would escape, but I thought that last time with the lobster roaches also....until I found one on the rug. I am also considering the blatta lateralis. Will these be able to live and breed? I am curious if there are any other cons to roaches aswell. Thanks.

-Adam.
Snail Tail Inc.

I keep blaptica dubia, and couldn't be happier with them. When I feed my panther, I feed them one at a time.. wait for him to eat it.. and then put another one in. I like to make sure they are really gone. The leaf chams get the smallest nymphs, but I feel a bit more secure with them. Even the house flies I feed the leaf chams have a hard time getting out of the enclosures. Chances of them escaping and then growing up to breed are slim, but not completely out of the question.

I have lost a couple. I lost a medium sized nymph once.. dropped it when I was feeding my panther. I found it a couple months later, healthy and larger. I don't feed adults too often. They really are too big. My panther will take them, but I don't know that it is healthy for him to eat prey that large. It gives me some reassurance that, at least they take a long time to develop to breeding age when I am feeding nymphs. Chances are good that a cat or dog or a person will catch it before it is breeding age. But, I do the best I can to keep the possibility of escape to a minimum.

With all that said, they are still roaches, and I have no doubt that if an adult male and an adult female were to escape, they would be very prolific in the right environment.

Heika

I don't know about Blaptica Dubia (Orange spotted Roach) but Nauphoeta Cinerea (Lobster Roach)'s are sick. I had a few adults escape somehow or another, and within months they had multiplied. Just a couple weeks ago I was lying in bed and I felt something crawl along my spine up my neck. I freaked out and flung it off me and found out it was a 2 inch male Lobster. Nasty. I killed it an took a 45 min. shower- LOL.

Be careful, use a Rubbermaid or glass enclosure with vaseline around the inner rim to prevent escape. I ended up bug-bombing the roach infested room twice and I still think they're in there...:(

Ugh, I know this may sound gay but I think they are disgusting I would never buy them! :eek: Im fine with my crickets and canned grasshoppers (new).

RESGuy said:
Ugh, I know this may sound gay but I think they are disgusting I would never buy them! :eek: Im fine with my crickets and canned grasshoppers (new).

I don't think anyone would question your sexuality because you refuse to keep roaches. Canned grasshoppers though? Yuck. Does your veiled actually eat them?

Heika

lol Heika.

Yeah, I bought them yesterday. They are Kinda weird the can says "Never feed live food again" But I just bought it for variety. They are really big though! And they are brown and in some kind of jucie thing in the can. I only feed him one though because its so big. It took Weirdo some time to eat it but he did. It especially took him long because he was trying to eat it upside down lol But yeah he ate it. Im going to feed him another tommorrow. The can brings like 5 I think and I feed him one of those one day then 5 crickets the next day and so on. :D They are kinda nasy though and I handle them with a toothpick lol:rolleyes:

RESGuy said:

Gay? :rolleyes:

Dead food is never advised because you cannot gutload it. You are wasting your money on canned insects.

Heika said:
I keep blaptica dubia, and couldn't be happier with them. When I feed my panther, I feed them one at a time.. wait for him to eat it.. and then put another one in. I like to make sure they are really gone. The leaf chams get the smallest nymphs, but I feel a bit more secure with them. Even the house flies I feed the leaf chams have a hard time getting out of the enclosures. Chances of them escaping and then growing up to breed are slim, but not completely out of the question.

I have lost a couple. I lost a medium sized nymph once.. dropped it when I was feeding my panther. I found it a couple months later, healthy and larger. I don't feed adults too often. They really are too big. My panther will take them, but I don't know that it is healthy for him to eat prey that large. It gives me some reassurance that, at least they take a long time to develop to breeding age when I am feeding nymphs. Chances are good that a cat or dog or a person will catch it before it is breeding age. But, I do the best I can to keep the possibility of escape to a minimum.

With all that said, they are still roaches, and I have no doubt that if an adult male and an adult female were to escape, they would be very prolific in the right environment.

Heika

Hey,

Well it's a litle bit hard for me to hand feed them one by one. I would have to feed a couple hundred a day! I will be cup feeding them in a very large plastic cup. At first my friend (who's a very good salesman.....) had me convinced taht they were the perfect feeder, but everytime I ask a specific question about if they will infest my house he tells me its "very unlikely". I just don't know what to do. My insect bill is costing me a fortune, but then again, so would an exterminator......:eek:

-Adam.
Snail Tail Inc.

i considered breeding raoches for feeders but didnt like the idea to much and then after some thought i figured if a female got loose and as fast as they are one would sooner or later they would breed in the house until they were all killed. so i went with breeding the crickets instead crickets might be slower.

Back
Top Bottom