Roach with priapism?

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok buggie experts...is this what I think it is coming out of my roach’s butt? :oops:😱 Obviously it’s a male from lack of light on it’s belly. The protruding ‘thing’ just doesn’t seem proportionate, which is why I’m questioning. Also, it wasn’t doing anything other than walking around (in a funny manner) yet the ‘thing’ wasn’t going back to wherever it goes.
9B8BA410-F76E-4C77-9B9B-514BD5297AC7.jpeg 680ED325-13B5-4269-B29F-CF30395B7DFD.jpeg

Really?! This is the first time I’ve seen this. It’s still hugely disproportionate to the body. I thought the females have light bands on their bellies. Either way, now I feel bad for the females.

Haha yup. Coloration isn't always guaranteed. The best way to tell is at the bottom, males have an extra segment near their butt. They're also usually flatter. The females are more rounded and lack that segment at the end.

So gonna follow up with a possibly strange question...do roaches have any particular mating season or are especially randy at certain times of day?
Usually I feed (and watch them) earlier in the night. Last night I did so around 4 AM and they were crazy! All were frantically climbing over each other in one corner, lots of squeaking and it looked like some were fighting. Also had no interest in the bug burger I gave them, which is their favorite. Have never seen them like this before.

Ughhh, and I'm not a morning person, even with enough sleep. From stranger things "mornings are for coffee and contemplation". Now I get hurled into chaos every morning and these boys are in a perpetual UFC fight day after day.

I am with you! My girls wake up early and they are fighting or singing. My husband is normally at work by the time we wake up, this morning he told me maybe we should consider getting them singing lessons. I personally think we should contract them out to the government to use as a form of torture but that might be too cruel. My kids are talented at many things, but singing (A.K.A. screaming off key) isn't one of them.

So gonna follow up with a possibly strange question...do roaches have any particular mating season or are especially randy at certain times of day?
Usually I feed (and watch them) earlier in the night. Last night I did so around 4 AM and they were crazy! All were frantically climbing over each other in one corner, lots of squeaking and it looked like some were fighting. Also had no interest in the bug burger I gave them, which is their favorite. Have never seen them like this before.

I've seen ivoryheads get triggered to breed when I moved them to a smaller bin. I guess it would depend on the species, I'd assume most of the time it happens at night since that's when they're more active.

Back
Top Bottom