Roach question

Can discoids be raised in same container as dubia?
I'm sure they "could", but I wouldn't personally do it. Mostly because my need for everything to have it's own bin, but also because of space and climate. My discoids prefer to be more humid and more heat, plus are ferocious eaters. The dubia [that I don't have any more because they are prohibited in Florida] prefer a dryer, slightly cooler temp and seem to not eat nearly as much.

I guess if you had a big enough bin you could house them together,but I think eventually the population would stress one of the species. If you've only got a few of each and aren't looking for a breeding colony, then no worries.

I have at least 2,000 discoids set up in 2 bins. One with a bioactive substrate I use for breeding and one for gut loading/feeding. Works out well for me. The dubias I *used to* keep in a similar fashion.

I'm sure they "could", but I wouldn't personally do it. Mostly because my need for everything to have it's own bin, but also because of space and climate. My discoids prefer to be more humid and more heat, plus are ferocious eaters. The dubia [that I don't have any more because they are prohibited in Florida] prefer a dryer, slightly cooler temp and seem to not eat nearly as much.

I guess if you had a big enough bin you could house them together,but I think eventually the population would stress one of the species. If you've only got a few of each and aren't looking for a breeding colony, then no worries.

I have at least 2,000 discoids set up in 2 bins. One with a bioactive substrate I use for breeding and one for gut loading/feeding. Works out well for me. The dubias I *used to* keep in a similar fashion.
Thought that they are so close to each other that it may be easier to manage both in a large bin but you bring up a couple of good points regarding the sharing of food and temp. Thanks for your thoughts.

Where do you get your Discoid roaches from?
I'm also in Florida and Dubia are off of the option table.

Where do you get your Discoid roaches from?
I'm also in Florida and Dubia are off of the option table.
I drive 2+ hours each way up to Ocala as theres not a place to get them locally. Online options are available, but the cost per roach and then shipping just wasn't worth it for me. I spent a few hundred dollars and ended up paying about WAY less than retail per roach. Got them in all sizes, including adults and was able to start my own colonies [outlined above]. Now I have more than enough roaches, to the point I've actually met up with a few folk from here and other places to share the wealth. I "sell" them for less than half retail and cheaper than online... but I have only done that locally and not shipped them.

Another reason I make that journey is because I inquired to a few online places [included one up in the panhandle] and tried to place a bulk order, but no one wanted to give me a decent enough price.

I'm happy that I did make the voyage as my bugs are happy, healthy and super active/prolific. Unfortunately, she doesnt ship her bugs out.

"Linda's Gone Buggy" was the best pricing, but typical expensive shipping, that I found.

Can dubia and discoids make "mutts"? I know there mutts of both, but not sure if they can combine.

Can dubia and discoids make "mutts"? I know there mutts of both, but not sure if they can combine.
I'm not sure, that's nothing I've every tried... and I can't technically try?

I do know that my discoids LOVED to be misted where the dubias HATE it. The dubia play dead, some even actually die, when sprayed. May have just been the batch that I somehow managed to get.... but that's also how I killed them. [Every single one of them of course!]

I'm looking at them online.
They look a lot like Cuban DEATHS HEAD roaches. (As adults)
I'm a big dude. But roaches kind of freak me out.
I guess I'm looking for roaches that are less ROACH like.

Back
Top Bottom