Roach paranoia

Katacara

Avid Member
So I got in some dubai roaches in today, and now have both the heebee's and the geebee's!!!! I forgot how fast roaches run!! Anyway I put them in a bind that's at least 18 gallon (but I think it's a 20) and one started climbing out!!!! So now I'm super paranoid about having them get out! There was only that 1 out of 200 and have not seen any sense, but they are all hiding in the newspaper right now. I'm afraid to put the top on and leave them now, should I be so worried??

What kind of bin do you have, they can climb a lot of the colored plastic bins. You need that slick surface most clear ones have. I managed to find some black with that though.

Lmao they can climb the surface of colored bins, but they usually can't get ou t if the lid is on, and if they do they usually don't survive long at all, and definitely can't breed. I have had a couple survive outside the bin (if I couldn't catch them) for a few months, but honestly they can breed. The males can fly technically and no one believes they can, but they have no desire to leave the bin. Most of the roaches won't leave as long as they are fed regularly and have heat. They have no desire to. If they do it means something is wrong with your set up.

In my experience, only male adult dubia have any desire to move at all and are the fastest kind of dubia. I also keep Red Goblin roaches and Pallid roaches. Red goblins are very fast and all life stages of pallid can climb, but no roach really wants to leave the bins they are in. Additionally, I keep my feeder juvenile dubia in a bin without a lid and even they don't try to escape. My case is a little different though because I converted the sauna in my room that I didn't use (room used to be a workout room) to a heated "Bug Room". I house adult and juvenile dubia, pallids, red goblins, Vulgare Isopods, and occasionally wc bugs and I've had very little escapees. I guess what I'm trying to say is as long as there is no motivation to leave, the bugs usually won't, but it is still a good idea to contain species appropriately with lids and climbing barriers.

Thanks everyone!! Yah I have a colored bin that I was going to use, that's what they are in right now. I have crumpled newspaper in there, a plate of banana & carrot, and water soaked paper towels (till I get some crystals). I will use this for now and check it multiple times a day to make sure that they are happy so they don't want to leave. I will be getting a smooth clear tub asap for sure!!! Thanks again for all your help in making me less freaked out!!

Hey just a heads up, banana is okay but in very small amounts. Roaches breed more with citrus fruits too and they usually need a protein source to thrive, such as nuts, seeds, bee pollen, etc. Also I used to use water crystals, but a member here alerted me of the danger they can pose dehydrating and sticking to their legs and then expanding in our Chams stomachs which can't be digested. I'm not sure how common something like this is with adults, but could be a risk to consider with young chameleons.

Just thought I'd share some info I learned here :) goodluck

Why don't you have egg crates sweetie? That's probably why they are trying to climb out. They don't have enough things to climb on and feel safe.

Thanks jamest0o0, I will take out some of the banana and add some protein items. Thanks for the heads up on the crystals I will stick with other sources for water! I would feel so bad if that happened to my cham!!

Andee I was so unprepared for the delivery of roaches today it's not even funny, :notworthy: I had nothing set up!! No bin, nothing :eek:. The order was scheduled to be delivered on Monday so I thought I would have tomorrow to prepare, and time for the egg crates I ordered to get here (they should also be here Monday). So here I am running around trying to get setup with 200 roaches sitting on my bed lol.... o_O it's just been one of those days.

What's real sad right now is that Peepers has not even touched them yet, and my dragon ate 1 and has not looked at them sense.... *Sigh*

Back
Top Bottom