River Rock in bottom of cage?

techmikef

Is it safe to put river rock in the bottom of my enclosure?

I have a enclosure from DIYcages.com and have drilled plenty of drainage holes in the bottom piece that comes with that. I know that ideally we wouldnt want anything like carpet, mulch, are any type of bedding down there due to bacteria concerns but what I was wondering if it would be ok to put the same rock that I cover my plants with on the bottom of the enclosure? Roughly, the rock is slightly smaller than golf balls.

It seems that the rock would catch a lot of the water prior to it actually draining and from what Ive noticed the rocks seems to dry faster than the plastic piece that I have the holes drilled in.

What do you think?

I've used rocks from a beach I just used reptile disinfectant and hot water then put them in.

Hope this helps.

You can do it as long as no rock is small enough for the Cham to eat...golf ball size seeem ok.
One thing to consider is that having rocks in the bottom may trap poo Dow. In the cracks.. and also give the crickets another place to hide

You can do it as long as no rock is small enough for the Cham to eat...golf ball size seeem ok.
One thing to consider is that having rocks in the bottom may trap poo Dow. In the cracks.. and also give the crickets another place to hide

Do you think that my daily misting will be enough to dilute the poo enough to drain out of the enclosure?

Misting will occur 3-4 times a day for 4-8 minutes per session.

I don't think so. I have used a hose on my enclosures outside and sometimes it does not break down even then. It just goes flying out the door!

Good chameleon substrate

I think that exo Terra's moss mat makes a great bottom layer it's easy to clean cant be ingested usually and even if it is its moss so it's safe and it makes a much more natural enclosure look than bare bottom

Back
Top Bottom