RIP thalamus / autopsy

whitespyder

thalamus passed away this morning. she was looking really bad yesterday when her hind legs and tail went completely limp. she really pulled through longer than expected and kept showing some signs of hope. she was a strong little booger and ill miss her silly face. <3

she must have had retained eggs inside from her last egg batch two weeks ago. she kept popping stray eggs out for a week after she laid most of them in her dirt bucket. i took her to the vet last week and my vet gave her a vitamin b complex shot and some daily calcium drops since her calcium levels were pretty low after the laying. but even if i did have the 600$ to spend on her to get spayed, she was way too weak at that point to survive the surgery.

anyways, i want to get an autopsy of her to see exactly what happened. whats the best way to keep her until i bring her to the vet's office? is the freezer ok? im not sure exactly when they'll be able to take her in. ive thought of doing it myself since i have the equipment (and the stomach for it) but it would be best under a trained eye, and my vet would probably be interested to do it for future reference.

refrigerator better than freezing.

The problem if you do it yourself is what you have to compare with (nothing?). For examples do you know what normal liver and kidneys look like? Etc.

I suppose if all you are looking for is to confirm retained eggs then you can find that easily enough. But if that isn't what killed her, you may or may not be able to identify the problem...

refrigerator better than freezing.

The problem if you do it yourself is what you have to compare with (nothing?). For examples do you know what normal liver and kidneys look like? Etc.

yeah i agree, thats why i would prefer the vet to do it. i could find some images online to compare to but i wouldnt know if the organs in the images are normal looking or not.

thanks everyone. i know most of you guys understand how terrible it is to lose a great pet :(

I am so sorry you lost her - it's not a nice feeling at all. We don't realise just quite how attached we are until we lose one. I hope the autopsy can put your mind at rest. Rest in peace Thalamus.:(

Back
Top Bottom