RIP little ones

christineacero

I've been boycotting my local store for a few weeks after finding out that one of my babies that I sold to them drowned due to a co-op student not paying attention and overmisting. I was advised this morning that this girl has since been fired after the store owner found out that I wasn't coming back, so I went in for the first time again this afternoon. After looking in the 2 enclosures that the babies used to be housed in, I found them empty and asked if they had found new homes.

The kid working there proceeded to tell me that the other 3 drowned as well in the few weeks that I've been gone...WTF?! How could something so horrible happen to 4 baby chams?! This place is a reputable reptile specialty store! I am beyond upset. They were absolutely beautiful babies, and had a really promising future after being in my care for 3 months. They were in peak health and friendly to boot.

I am absolutely beside myself. I cannot get over the fact that this happened, and I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself for sending these babies off to their deaths. Needless to say I will never darken their door again. Rest in peace little ones, I am so very sorry. :(

So sorry to hear that.. Some people dont care as much as us reptile owners for these creatures..people dont understand that they are living things and have feelings too, no matter how small they are..

I am so so sorry this happened to your babies and to you. I just lost both of my boys within a couple weeks of one another and I understand your frustration and devastation.

This is just sad. I am really sorry that the babies were all lost. How can people just not care? That is the part I will never understand. Just know you can't save them all. But we do what we can. hang in here.

I forgot to mention that I am sorry for the loss of all these little ones and in such a tragic way.

Oh I'm so sorru Christine ! This is outrageous! I don't know what would I do to the store.... I understand your feelings 100%! Poor little babies. :( I'm so sorry!

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I'm totally at a loss right now.

The first baby drowned in a pocket of water created in the enclosures substrate. (I heavily advised them to REMOVE the substrate but they went against my wishes anyway). And from what I heard, another puddle was created on one of the leaves on the pothos plant and another one fell in and drowned. I didn't stick around long enough to ask about the other two because I was so upset, but I gather it was a similar instance. Little Sternfeldi babies are so tiny and delicate that these things can easily happen if not monitored properly.

This is where I stress the importance of having NO SUBSTRATE on the bottom of enclosures!!

that is so sad, and I can understand how upset you are - do not blame yourself, ( I know its hard not to ) this is nothing you did - THEY did it - but so sorry for your loss - its so hard to lose any cham, but babies seem to hit extra hard :( the fact you went back to check on them shows how much you cared

that is so sad, and I can understand how upset you are - do not blame yourself, ( I know its hard not to ) this is nothing you did - THEY did it - but so sorry for your loss - its so hard to lose any cham, but babies seem to hit extra hard :( the fact you went back to check on them shows how much you cared

I went back to check on them a few times a week since they've been there. I HAD a really good relationship with the guys from the store and even made a few outside friendships from there so I was there quite often. It's unfortunate that these little ones lost their life, and also unfortunate for the store because I'm one of their best customers. I've easily dropped a few K in there. The owner called first dibs on any Meru babies I have in the future, but they'll definitely be going somewhere else now!:(

Back
Top Bottom