Right temperature and incubation time for Veiled Jemen chameleon eggs please

starter

I have 84 freshly laid eggs and wonder whether I must cancel my summer holiday trip in August or not. It all depends on the hatching time of our first chameleon babies. Now, some sources say the incubation time is 150 to 180 days, some say it is 6 to 9 months (equals 180 to 275 days) and some say it depends on the temperature in the incubator. Some say 26 C (80 F) is right, some say it must be 29 C (84 F). Although I am willing to stay at home in summer if necessary I wonder - can the hatching date be really controlled by the breeder, by increasing or decreasing the temperature? If you have successfully bred veiled chams can you please tell me your incubation periods and temperatures?

Truth is you can successfully incubate at a range of different temperatures. The warmer they are the faster they hatch, within reason. Every degree makes a difference, if you asked 100 different breeders what’s the best temp/incubation time combination you’ll probably get 75 different answers. I don’t actually incubate mine at all, they are kept at room temp and almost always start hatching in the later days of the 9th month.

So while hatching dates can be INFLUENCED by temperature, I don’t think any one can say it can be controlled. I’d say consistent is as close as one can expect. Given how early on you are in this process and that your using an incubator I’d plan on being busy in August, but again it’s very difficult to predict something like this.

I’m sure someone else will come along shortly and contradict me but that’s ok, I’m sure they are right too. It all comes down to personal experiences. Good luck!

Thank you, Brody. We have meanwhile decided to stay at home over the summer holidays, so I hope the babies will hatch during or before this time. I am keeping them at 28-29° C (that is 82-84 F) and by now they are still looking good! Only one has developed mould and I have removed it instantly. I check them about every three days, also to let some fresh air into the containers and wipe off condensation water from the lids.

Back
Top Bottom