Right or wrong

I think the question does not need to be beginner or not but how having a wild caught affects conservation. What are you doing by taking the animal from his natural habitat? Wouldn't a CB cham not only make a better pet but be the responsible choice? I can see if you are trying to introduce new bloodlines to a breeding project but otherwise I can't see a reason. Just my opinion though. ..

I agree now that the hobby has progressed to the point that breeding is a realistic endeavor for someone other than say a zoo or reptarium I don't see the need to continue to encourage the sale of a wild caught animal.

Tbh I don't think that any wild caught animal should be kept in captivity. Its wrong! How would you like to be take out of your beautiful home and thrown in a 2'2'4' or smaller cage? Yes they are beautiful creatures and yes I love my 2 alot. But I know that they would prefer their nature home.

Now back to the question. I don't think that a wc chameleon should be sold to a beginner.

I believe someone should not own a WC unless the are breeding or are doing something that conducts research on the animal.

I partially agree with WC being kept in captivity only for a couple of circumstances. I don't think that it is fair that they are constricted to "small" enclosures compared to the never ending habitat they have grown in and were used to before..the only reason I would understand is either for scientific research or helping reproduction of the species to be reintroduced to their natural habitat. If not for those mentioned reasons I would understand keeping a wc in a huge outdoor enclosure with consistent suitable weather conditions for that species.. such as a jax in hawaii. I see it this way > if a human were to be constricted to a house with all the props such as tv,dvd player, pc, playstation, state of the art kitchen, endless food, etc.. It would be great ..but he still would not be able to live his life to the fullest without travelling, goin to the beach and so on. If he did not know better than just his home, he would not feel trapped and deprived..except maybe sexually :)

Having expressed my opinin shortly ;-) ..i have always wondered how a chams brain works . From the little i've heard it works in a pretty prehistoric way having basic feelings. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be awesome !

I also agree that it's cruel to snatch an animal out from its natural habitat, throw it into a cage with dozens of other individuals, travel for days or weeks, go without adequate temperature, food, and water, sustain injuries like cuts, scrapes, or even breaks, and then end up for sale at a pet store, distributor, or reptile show.

What is WORSE, in my opinion, is for them to end up in the hands of people who don't know how to give them the best chance at survivial. It's difficult enough for experienced keepers to acclimate individuals, so it's stacking the odds against the animals to put them in inexperienced hands. So, no, I don't think that most beginner chameleon keepers are the best equipt to acclimate WCs properly.

Are there exceptions to the rule, or people who get lucky? Sure. But there's a very good reason behind why we advocate that beginners start with healthy, well established CB chameleons to get their footing with.

Why would you buy a wild caught when captive bred are available?

The main motives are availability (I saw it at a pet show, pet store, instant gratification) or to save money.

If instant gratification is the drive, chameleons are not for you (or others). They take patience, constant study, and trying new things, a flow of money for vet bills, habitats, heating, maintaining a varied diet, and gut loading of insects. No patience, no chameleon will be taken care of correctly…:(

If saving money is the drive to buy WC, ask any experienced keeper here, and they will tell you as a beginner, don't buy WC, it will typically cost you more than buying CB, even after you have it shipped to you.

Another issue is that when a WC starts to have problems, it is harder to diagnose the causes; there may be unseen health problems such as liver damage, which will cost many times more than you paid for the bargain priced WC.;)

CHEERS!

Nick

Why would you buy a wild caught when captive bred are available?

The main motives are availability (I saw it at a pet show, pet store, instant gratification) or to save money.

If instant gratification is the drive, chameleons are not for you (or others). They take patience, constant study, and trying new things, a flow of money for vet bills, habitats, heating, maintaining a varied diet, and gut loading of insects. No patience, no chameleon will be taken care of correctly…:(

If saving money is the drive to buy WC, ask any experienced keeper here, and they will tell you as a beginner, don't buy WC, it will typically cost you more than buying CB, even after you have it shipped to you.

Another issue is that when a WC starts to have problems, it is harder to diagnose the causes; there may be unseen health problems such as liver damage, which will cost many times more than you paid for the bargain priced WC.;)

CHEERS!

Nick

Great advice! Yeah if cutting corners and saving a couple dollars is ones motivation, this hobby probably is not the best.

CB all the way. however, for the unpopulated species being bred in captivity. i could see the use of some wc, here and there. in order, to help boost bloodlines and availability. that way we cut down on the need for those wc. obviously, i don't support wc if they are endangered or threatened. but their use, can help provide a sustainable available market that could eliminate wc use, all together. i mean is wc blue bars or veils, even occuring? Obviously, yes. but completely idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom