right age to leave

hollycham

Hello, I have a question....How old should baby veiled chams be when they are old enough/big enough to go to a new owner? Also another question I see conflicting information about whether or not you should use lighting for new little ones? What is your guys advice?

Responsible breeders will not let chameleon babies go to a new home before 2.5-3 months of age, and at this point it is totally ok for you to use a gentle heat light and UVB light on them. Where people debate whether hatchlings should have access to lighting is with new hatchlings, who in some cases do better without any supplemental heat source besides what's emitted from a used UVb light. But by 2-3 months you can have a basking light and a UVB light without worry.

You want to aim for a basking spot between 80-85F (typically a 40-60w bulb) and something like a Reptisun 5.0/10.0 as a UVB light, for example.

This will give you a little more info regarding the different lights, brands, and types you need: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/

Thanks for the help and information. I was actually thinking about 4 months old before they could go to new owners so I was on the right track. I was thinking just uvb and no heat especially since it is warm out already their cage with naturally stay around 83 on its own with no help at least for now cause I don't run AC, not until its hotter out. I'm located in the valley in California.

Sometimes its still best to use a basking bulb when they hit 2 months even if the ambient is 83, because chams don't always recognize they are warm enough without a light.

they cant get warm from air around them as well as other animals can since they are cold-blooded.

You can use a very low watt bulb that doesn't raise the temp more than a degree or two, just to give them a basking spot.

Sometimes its still best to use a basking bulb when they hit 2 months even if the ambient is 83, because chams don't always recognize they are warm enough without a light.

they cant get warm from air around them as well as other animals can since they are cold-blooded.

You can use a very low watt bulb that doesn't raise the temp more than a degree or two, just to give them a basking spot.

Great advice that is not something that I thought about! I have a couple of eggs that are starting to sweat and crack so should start having some babies soon:)

I have always used a basking light on my babies from the time they hatch. As well as a UV light of course. And every morning the babies are under the basking light warming up. They eat well, grow well, are very active and always have fat little bellies so I think the basking light helps.

I agree with the basking light from day 1, so long as you monitor your babies and ensure they have access to plenty of water you should have no problems. Of course a lower temperature basking spot is necessary for babies, completely removing their basking spot, in my opinion is not the best idea.

Back
Top Bottom