Rigged up a new way to water my panther outdoors- did I do well?

MantisFTW

So far, Specs, my nearly 3 year old panther, has been enjoying the outdoors all summer, soaking up the good 90 degree Louisiana heat, UVB, and humidity. It was only until recently (when summers almost over, figures) that I learned a new way to water him...

I was browsing through Target today and found an automatic watering timer, designed to water lawns. I also found a cheap 2 dollar sprinkler. Along with that, I bought a new hose because my last one was pretty shot. Its the kind of hose thats soft and krinkly, and it expands when its turned on, like the kind you see in the commercials.

Anyway, with these items I rigged Specs up with a new watering system... its equivalent to a short, light rain shower. I set it up to where it starts at 10am, sprays every 4 hours, and lasts for 5 minutes each spray. I shut it off at night since its just a waste of water at that point. I wanted to get some opinions on it from you more experienced folks to ensure this new system wont be a problem. Before, I was just doing everything by hand, which I couldnt always rely on because I work 8 hour long days and its never very consistent. Also, I can always change the times and frequencies of the spraying if needed. I've provided a video of the system working and a few pictures:
The timer:
2whqvk5.jpg

Specs afterwords:
2j0ci36.jpg

Doing the eye-bulge thing he sometimes does when he gets watered:
rc7ihj.jpg

Specs will of course be going back indoors the moment the temps start to drop down for autumn, I'll probably be bringing him in when it gets as low as 75-80. So far though its been pretty hot, with temps being in the upper 80's. I strategically placed the cage in a spot on the side of the house to allow for shade and so that hes not in direct sunlight, and as the sun moves throughout the day, he will have a few spots of light to bask in if he wanted to.

I also recently started keeping a lock on his cage, we had a huge scare that involved me having to go searching through a neighbors back yard to find him! Still have no idea how that happened, but a lock has definitely solved it from happening again. I have always been concerned for when it storms though. I have asked about it before, and everyone seems to think that having a chameleon outdoors during a thunderstorm/heavy rain is fine, so long as wind wont knock the cage over. Could I get some confirmation on this? Any other kind of outdoor housing information would be appreciated as well. :)

Cool idea, although that seems like a lot of water! It's like a monsoon in that cage! Jackson's may like it…other's can weight in on Veileds and Panthers needing that much H2O.:)

If need be, I can move the cage over slightly so that the spray isn't getting the entire thing... gonna wait on some more confirmation before I do that. This makes me question further about having him outside during heavy rain though!

I'm by no means an expert... but what about turning the pressure down? that way it's not storming in there... lol
I look at it from a Californian point of view also , since we are in a sever drought and that seems like a lot of wasted water , sorry

The water level looks fine, it is quite a monsoon but with it being hot outside, it's not bad for him to get plenty of water.

As long as using all that water isn't an issue for you, it's a pretty darn cool setup. Looks cool to me!

-Jen

Yea, I don't think it's a problem either. He probably enjoys it! Maybe angle it in such a way that he still has one dry(ish) corner to escape to if he's not in the mood. Just to give him that option, but otherwise I think it's fine.

I leave all of mine outside even through bad rainstorms. The cages have something blocking one ceiling corner to give them a place to escape from it if they want to but they enjoy the rain very much and they are usually out in the open. Only once they want to settle down for the night to they get under their covered areas.

See, look how content Charlotte was during a rainstorm a couple months ago lol

d8qxqD.jpg

Back
Top Bottom