Retrofitting an outdoor aviary for cham use?

SmithSe

Established Member
In preparation for spring (even though it's still the dead of winter here in MI...) I was weighing all my possible outdoor enclosure options for my two OE parsonii. I'm not particularly handy, nor do I have a ton of time to construct two elaborate or well-structured enclosures, so I was considering purchasing a couple of these aviaries (https://www.walmart.com/ip/64-Hexag...hguid=96bb36f0-383-168cb33b085b90&athena=true) and then removing the roof and retrofitting some mesh wire on top, as well as adding a bottom to the enclosure. The gaps in the wire are small enough to where I wouldn't think it would be problematic for anything trying to get out or in, for that matter. I think this has potential for a nice panther/veiled palace as well! Let me know what you think, or if you have any alternative ideas for a cost-effective large outdoor enclosure.

I think it is a really neat idea. They are a good size and I like the shape. It looks like it would be fairly easy to do a screen similar to the sides for the top. Would be cool to plant it out with smaller trees and hibiscus. I have no experience yet with outdoor enclosures though so I may be wayyyy off LOL.

In preparation for spring (even though it's still the dead of winter here in MI...) I was weighing all my possible outdoor enclosure options for my two OE parsonii. I'm not particularly handy, nor do I have a ton of time to construct two elaborate or well-structured enclosures, so I was considering purchasing a couple of these aviaries (https://www.walmart.com/ip/64-Hexag...hguid=96bb36f0-383-168cb33b085b90&athena=true) and then removing the roof and retrofitting some mesh wire on top, as well as adding a bottom to the enclosure. The gaps in the wire are small enough to where I wouldn't think it would be problematic for anything trying to get out or in, for that matter. I think this has potential for a nice panther/veiled palace as well! Let me know what you think, or if you have any alternative ideas for a cost-effective large outdoor enclosure.
Love it, post when done!

Hooray! Yeah @Beman, I was thinking some hibiscus trees as well in addition to ann extra large schefflerall! I'll definitely post pics when I've got 'em up and running... in like 4 months from now, haha.

You need to consider thieves. They might case out your yard and decide to help themselves to your unusual cage occupants.

@Carlton that was actually one of my first considerations! We live in a quiet suburb with an open yard facing the street. The yard extends a ways back from the road. Although the crime rate is incredibly low here, anyone driving by could get the idea to snatch 'em, which I've been trying to think of ways to prevent. I was going to fit each enclosure with a padlock and install motion-activated cameras fixed on the enclosures come spring. Would a "you're on camera" sign be going overboard? Haha. We might just extend our half-fence around the rest of the property as well.

@SmithSe

Can’t believe I’m going to say this. If you’ve ever wondered why you don’t see pics of my male veild anymore this is why.

Happened to one of my veilds, thought he just managed to escape at first. 2 weeks later we were riding 4-wheelers down a trail a few miles from my house in the woods when something shiney caught my eye. That’s how I found him. Some punk kids had built a camp about 25’ off the trail. Went check it out and there he was. Laying in the bottom of a fcuked up gold bird cage. This was in the hottest part of the summer, 98f and 100% humidity every day. Maggots were almost done with him by then.

Bought, set up, and ran about $500 of trail cameras just for this but I never was able to prove who did it.

I’ve never told this story before because I was responsible for him and I didn’t do enough to protect him. I failed him and I’m embarrassed. I’m telling it now because I believe every permanent outdoor set-up should include both sturdy locks and a motion activated security camera. You can get cameras now for about $100. They are just as important as the viv itself in my opinion.

@Brodybreaux25 I'm livid from reading your post, and I'm so, so sorry that happened to you. That's so terrible you had to find him like that, too. Were they just keeping him in the birdcage until they tired of him? Unreal. I read another post where some punk kids stole a bunch of panthers out of someone's yard... using the excuse "they're only kids, they don't know any better!" wouldn't apply here at all and I'd prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. The sh*ttiness of some people is just unfathomable to me sometimes.

If you don't mind me asking, did they take him during the day or night? I was planning on taking my two outside during the day and bringing them inside at night, but thieves can easily steal at any hour. The enclosures are about 60 lbs each (80-100 lbs with plants and branches) and have awkward proportions, so I don't think anyone would be sneaking off with them anytime soon. Do you think a sturdy padlock and motion activated cameras are enough to deter someone? Thank you for sharing your story... perhaps it will make anyone reading that much more wary and willing to take preventative measures to protect their chams (myself included!).

@Brodybreaux25 I'm livid from reading your post, and I'm so, so sorry that happened to you. That's so terrible you had to find him like that, too. Were they just keeping him in the birdcage until they tired of him? Unreal. I read another post where some punk kids stole a bunch of panthers out of someone's yard... using the excuse "they're only kids, they don't know any better!" wouldn't apply here at all and I'd prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. The sh*ttiness of some people is just unfathomable to me sometimes.

If you don't mind me asking, did they take him during the day or night? I was planning on taking my two outside during the day and bringing them inside at night, but thieves can easily steal at any hour. The enclosures are about 60 lbs each (80-100 lbs with plants and branches) and have awkward proportions, so I don't think anyone would be sneaking off with them anytime soon. Do you think a sturdy padlock and motion activated cameras are enough to deter someone? Thank you for sharing your story... perhaps it will make anyone reading that much more wary and willing to take preventative measures to protect their chams (myself included!).
I have no clue what they were planning to do with him, probably just thought he was cool. I think they either got bored with him or realized they were scared of him. He was very feisty and a master of keeping his cool just long enough for you to drop your guard and move in closer, then latch on to your finger and not let go. I’m sure he got a few bites in along the way to whatever they were doing. I live in a good neighborhood, don’t even lock my house up half the time when we leave. The whole neighborhood knew about him, even let the neighborhood kids feed him from time to time. They took him during the day when I was at work, they didn’t take the whole viv, only him.

Padlock will work but only if you have metal screen to go with it...

Back
Top Bottom