Retained sperm / clutches

snitz427

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello. I have a female who was imported from the wild over two years ago. She was gravid when imported and laid a fertile clutch of eggs that hatched a little over a year ago. The first clutch had a seven month incubation period.

Nearly 18 months after she laid the clutch that I dug up and hatched, I found two newly hatched babies in her enclosure.

I assume that she laid a second clutch due to the long duration of time, but it is possible that she laid eggs in separate locations. AlthoUgh it seems unlikely. In her first clutch I dug up nine eggs, all of which successfully hatched and survived. I dug around quite a bit and didn’t find any other eggs so I am much more suspicious of her having retain sperm and laying a second clutch a few months later.

The reason for my post is that the babies of the second clutch did not thrive. They were also only two that I found. It’s possible that others hatched and mom ate them, or that she laid other eggs that just did not hatch. Anyway, the babies did survive for about three months. Today the second baby died. The first baby I am assuming died but I was not able to find its carcass in the substrate and plants. Keep in mind they are very tiny.

I’m curious if the survival rate is lower for a clutch from retained sperm, which by my guess would have hatched over 2 1/2 years since the initial breeding. These babies did not appear to thrive like my previous clutch. At three months they were still about the size of a one month old. Their size and such were very much like preemies, even though I don’t believe that they hatched prematurely.

Has anyone else had first hand experience with something similar? If so, how was the second clutch?

I'm sorry the other one also didn't survive. They're a very interesting species. You now only got the originated female or do you still got babies from the first clutch?

I'm sorry the other one also didn't survive. They're a very interesting species. You now only got the originated female or do you still got babies from the first clutch?

I have the mom (Lucy), although she seems to be slowing down a little. I am not sure of her age, she was an adult when I acquired her a few years ago. I also have two of the original baby girls - Porchetta and Porcini. My friend has the only male. First clutch was a 100% hatch / survival rate up until they started going off to new homes at around 5-6 months. 2nd clutch I could tell from early on that they didn't have the vitality of the previous clutch.

I love this species - they are small, beautiful, and very active. Loads of character in a tiny package.

I love this species - they are small, beautiful, and very active. Loads of character in a tiny package.
Absolutely, it’s a real pleasure to build an enclosure for them, because they daily appreciate every inch of it. When I compare it with a Jackson, which are already happy with one branch regardless how big their enclosure is, the Boehmei makes miles a day. I’m still keeping my eyes open for female.

Back
Top Bottom