Retail: A Story About Big Box Stores

Daesie11

Chameleon Enthusiast
I manage a retail front of a "big box" corporation (not a reptile store, but the lesson still applies). I feel like most of the people here dont need to hear this story, but some people; especially the newer keepers, do.

All anyone in corporate cares about are sales. They want high guest satisfaction ratings, but only because that means those guests will come back and buy, buy, buy. Sometimes, you will recieve honest and genuine help and advise from the employees at big box stores, but honestly... 90% of the associates I hire dont have a clue what they are doing when they are brought on. The only training they are given is how to work a register. They arent really trained on the product, they just kinda learn as they go. Sometimes they learn wrong.

"What?? A cashier earning minimum wage isnt an expert in their industry of work?!"

Yeah, you heard me. That cashier telling you that 100w basking bulb will be perfect for your baby chameleon is probably sold out of the 60w and just wants to make sure they are making the sale. I do it. They are also going to add on a ton of stuff you probably dont need (night light, water bowl, etc).

The moral of the story here, kids, is to stop trusting associates at retail stores to give you accurate information about anything. Yeah, I'm looking at you - new keeper who just bought the Chameleon Kit. There are so many better resources out there to learn and better your husbandry. Take the advise given on this forum to heart, and take the sales pitch from the pet store with a grain of salt(or a handful of salt).

Thanks for attending my Ted Talk.
(Also sorry if I offend anyone who is a cashier at a retail store, I'm talking about that dummy you work with, not you friend)

Last edited:
Thank you for your Ted talk!!!! Could not agree more... I spent many years in retail... and many more in banking. The last 5 in sales and marketing/public relations.. what does this mean??? I know how to sell... I was trained for it... I can spin anything at this point. My years is retail and banking were all sales and meeting my quota for the month.

I manage a retail front of a "big box" corporation (not a reptile store, but the lesson still applies). I feel like most of the people here dont need to hear this story, but some people; especially the newer keepers, do.

All anyone in corporate cares about are sales. They want high guest satisfaction ratings, but only because that means those guests will come back and buy, buy, buy. Sometimes, you will recieve honest and genuine help and advise from the employees at big box stores, but honestly... 90% of the associates I hire dont have a clue what they are doing when they are brought on. The only training they are given is how to work a register. They arent really trained on the product, they just kinda learn as they go. Sometimes they learn wrong.

"What?? A cashier earning minimum wage isnt an expert in their industry of work?!"

Yeah, you heard me. That cashier telling you that 100w basking bulb will be perfect for your baby chameleon is probably sold out of the 60w and just wants to make sure they are making the sale. I do it. They are also going to add on a ton of stuff you probably dont need (night light, water bowl, etc).

The moral of the story here, kids, is to stop trusting associates at retail stores to give you accurate information about anything. Yeah, I'm looking at you - new keeper who just bought the Chameleon Kit. There are so many better resources out there to learn and better your husbandry. Take the advise given on this forum to heart, and take the sales pitch from the pet store with a grain of salt(or a handful of salt).

Thanks for attending my Ted Talk.
(Also sorry if I offend anyone who is a cashier at a retail store, I'm talking about that dummy you work with, not you friend)

My. God. This was perfect. "IM LOOKING AT YOU" ... as I slowly put down the Chameleon Kit.

Thank you for your Ted talk!!!! Could not agree more... I spent many years in retail... and many more in banking. The last 5 in sales and marketing/public relations.. what does this mean??? I know how to sell... I was trained for it... I can spin anything at this point. My years is retail and banking were all sales and meeting my quota for the month.
Sometimes I dont even recognize my own sales voice it sounds so fake. And dont even get me started on my customer service laugh!!
"Oh it doesnt ring up, it must be free!"
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA.....

Back
Top Bottom