Researching prior to getting a new friend

Awesome, and welcome on here! If you haven't checked it out already, The Chameleon Academy is great! Read through the entire website and listen to as many podcast episodes as possible to really be able to undstand why certain things are a certain way and to absorb tons of info! What species are you thinking about?

Awesome, and welcome on here! If you haven't checked it out already, The Chameleon Academy is great! Read through the entire website and listen to as many podcast episodes as possible to really be able to undstand why certain things are a certain way and to absorb tons of info! What species are you thinking about?
I can see we are both going through the unanswered threads tonight :hilarious: And at the exact same time :LOL:

Greetings. I’m new here but thought I’d say hello. Trying to do the proper research before adding a new chameleon to the family. I look forward to following along everyones post to learn.

Cheers!
Welcome to the forum, and Thank You for your service!
1627397085411.png

When you say, "Trying to do the proper research before adding a new chameleon to the family," does that mean you already have—or have previously had—a chameleon?

If so, what have you had in the past, and do you have any ideas about what species you'd like to add or get?

Of course these are not the only choices; there are over 170 different species, as well as sub-species and locales, but these are (currently) the 3 most common types in the hobby/pet trade.

If you're new to chameleons—or reptiles in general—in addition to what's already been mentioned I'd suggest reading a few articles on the time & financial commitments involved in chameleon keeping (over & above the cost of the chameleon itself). Like many hobbies, it can be a money pit! :eek:

Care requirement$ can also vary depending on species.

cost of owning a chameleon (Some figures may be lowballed or out of date) ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome. This would be my first Chameleon. I have kept Crested geckos, boas and currently have some young beardies. I have kept large reef tanks and the past and understand the importance of proper husbandry and research. I am not 100% on the exact species I am leaning towards, but thanks to everyone who has given me a place to start

Welcome to the forum, and Thank You for your service! View attachment 306391

When you say, "Trying to do the proper research before adding a new chameleon to the family," does that mean you already have—or have previously had—a chameleon?

If so, what have you had in the past, and do you have any ideas about what species you'd like to add or get?

Of course these are not the only choices; there are over 170 different species, as well as sub-species and locales, but these are (currently) the 3 most common types in the hobby/pet trade.

If you're new to chameleons—or reptiles in general—in addition to what's already been mentioned I'd suggest reading a few articles on the time & financial commitments involved in chameleon keeping (over & above the cost of the chameleon itself). Like many hobbies, it can be a money pit! :eek:

Care requirement$ can also vary depending on species.

cost of owning a chameleon (Some figures may be lowballed or out of date) ;)

Funny, I had just watched his video. i enjoy learning and sometimes you just miss things because you don’t know what you don’t know.

Thanks for the warm welcome. This would be my first Chameleon. I have kept Crested geckos, boas and currently have some young beardies. I have kept large reef tanks and the past and understand the importance of proper husbandry and research. I am not 100% on the exact species I am leaning towards, but thanks to everyone who has given me a place to start
Do you have any pics of your reef tanks?

Do you have any pics of your reef tanks?
They are lost on our old hard drive. But it was a 240 starfire with halides and led actinics. Sps mixed reef with 90g sump and a 90g frag tank. I lost everything to Kent marine reef carbon. They apparently had a batch of contaminated carbon and I ran some through as some pm maintenance and came down a 1/2 hour later and all of the flesh on my sps was floating around the tank. Almost all of my fish died as well. It was so bad that Kent actually compensated me for my loss. After that I just lost the desire to get it back up. It was up for about 8 years before the crash.

They are lost on our old hard drive. But it was a 240 starfire with halides and led actinics. Sps mixed reef with 90g sump and a 90g frag tank. I lost everything to Kent marine reef carbon. They apparently had a batch of contaminated carbon and I ran some through as some pm maintenance and came down a 1/2 hour later and all of the flesh on my sps was floating around the tank. Almost all of my fish died as well. It was so bad that Kent actually compensated me for my loss. After that I just lost the desire to get it back up. It was up for about 8 years before the crash.
Oh my, I'm so sorry! That sounded like it was amazing, though!

Back
Top Bottom