Rescuing a female veiled tomorrow

kenya

Avid Member
...and I couldn't be happier to have the raising kitty site. (Brad rocks!)

So I am getting the veiled in these adds tomorrow and am going to try to get her healthy and eating again.

Her owner said:

She was obtained when her daughter was 8 and that the daughter is now a teen and is not caring for the cham. The mother feeds her twice a week by taking her out and getting her to bite a snow pea and then slipping mealworms in while she is chewing. She is housed in a large birdcage with two ceramic heat lamps. She has a UVB bulb but I didn't ask what kind or how long they have had it (I will let you all know when I find out)

I am going to get her a proper basking light, live plants, a big mesh cage and a repti sun. She will get the fare of my chams- crickets, lobster roaches, silkworms, hornworms, supers and waxworms. My vet will also take a look at her and do a fecal. I am also going to provide her extra calcium for the first bit and check her over for anything that may be wrong yet unnoticed. If she has bad MBD, I will give her calcium injections.

So what do you guys think about the tongue thing? I think that she may also be kind of old but if that photo is current, then she is still in pretty good shape considering the circumstances.

I may also be getting what I suspect is a female panther. I went to my chiropractic appointment today and my receptionist asked me if I wanted a chameleon her brother had. She described her as tannish at rest and about six inches long in the body. She has apparently gone through MBD as well (she has broken an arm) because her UVB hadn't been replaced in a year and a half. My number and email was passed on and I am awaiting a call.

We will see how this all turns out- photos to come once I get the chams.

veiled2.jpg

veiled.jpg

veiled3.jpg

looks like a desert iguana*maybe not, the snout isn't stubby enough*...picture isn't great enough to tell though.

small monitor lizard or maybe.

Thats great to hear. I recently rescued a veiled. It wasnt in to bad of shape. The old lady who it was pawned off on had him for a month. He was under wieght but I suspect from the basking lamp never being on and getting 24 ungutloaded crix once a week in one sitting. Everyone said he looked good besides that. I gave him to my friend because I dont have a lot of room for him. Its his first cham and I am helping him through it. I hope she is still in somewhat good shape and I know you will make the rest of her life happy. GREAT JOB!

Thats great to hear. I recently rescued a veiled. It wasnt in to bad of shape. The old lady who it was pawned off on had him for a month. He was under wieght but I suspect from the basking lamp never being on and getting 24 ungutloaded crix once a week in one sitting. Everyone said he looked good besides that. I gave him to my friend because I dont have a lot of room for him. Its his first cham and I am helping him through it. I hope she is still in somewhat good shape and I know you will make the rest of her life happy. GREAT JOB!

Thanks! I hope I can figure her tongue out.

She must be pretty old then, If her daughter got her when she was 8, and is now a teenager! Was she using her tounge before? I know some chams that are born and dont use it, just walk up to the feeder. Im hoping everything works out!

She must be pretty old then, If her daughter got her when she was 8, and is now a teenager! Was she using her tounge before? I know some chams that are born and dont use it, just walk up to the feeder. Im hoping everything works out!

That is what I was thinking about the age...

She used her tongue in the past. I was thinking she might have gotten used to being fed by hand? Also, maybe there was some sort of trauma to it?

From the picture MBD does not seem to be an issue.
Although, as previously mentioned, the pictures are not great.
Keep us posted.

-Brad

From the picture MBD does not seem to be an issue.
Although, as previously mentioned, the pictures are not great.
Keep us posted.

-Brad

I agree but who knows if the photos are current. I thought it is possibly a factor as she didn't know what gutloading is, didn't mention supplementation, didn't feed crickets and I am not sure if she has replaced the UVB bulb recently.

Also, tongue problem makes me think bone in tongue which leads me to possible MBD as a source.

Obviously we won't know until tomorrow evening, though. :) I love your site! I have referred several local cham owners to it and even a clerk at Petsmart who seemed interested when I gave her a quick care sheet for a MBD suffering veiled they had (another sad story that we have all heard- the girl seemed really interested in helping the cham once I explained what was going on with it so I referred her to the Kitty site)

:) I love your site! I have referred several local cham owners to it and even a clerk at Petsmart who seemed interested when I gave her a quick care sheet for a MBD suffering veiled they had (another sad story that we have all heard- the girl seemed really interested in helping the cham once I explained what was going on with it so I referred her to the Kitty site)

Thank You.
I need to get busy on some new articles I want to get posted.
I'm glad you found the site to be helpful.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom