Rescued this little guy

SerpeRoma

Avid Member
Hi everyone, I'm finishing up the enclosure for my new Cham arriving next week.
I was looking for plants and found a lady selling umbrella trees on OfferUp.
Went to her place and found a whole backyard filled with all kinds of stuff, in between the boxes I see a chameleon cage, a 10x10x30 I believe.. I look inside and I see this baby veiled (probably around 4-6 months old). At first I thought it was a female because the casque was short and it looked pretty fat on the belly, thought it was a girl waiting to lay eggs. The conditions of the cage were DISGUSTING: it was outdoor with a black plastic bag on top, a bonsai tree inside, a graveyard of crickets underneath, a crate full of crickets and a water dish with dead crickets inside. They were feeding him 100 a day.
I started warning the owners about the conditions and told them that I'm really into chameleons.
When they realized how harmful that environment was they offered me to take it home, so that I could give him a better life, they said that the son got it and couldn't take care of him, they just wanted to get rid of it.. so I took it, he's now in a 18x18x36 cage (the only empty one that I have) with an umbrella tree and a pothos. Looking at him I see that he's very young and has a very fat belly, not too active and he hates me so much (which I know is normal and I respect that)
Just wanted to share with you guys and get some guesses about his health and if you have any suggestions on how to bring him back to an healthy life. Unfortunately I just spent $1000+ for the other Cham that's coming so I can not afford a vet visit just yet, I probably will in 1-2 weeks, but in the meantime I would like to do what I can for him.

IMG_20210807_084225.jpg
IMG_20210807_084234.jpg

I would say give him UVB and heat and supplements for the moment being. Pretty chunky man. Good thing you noticed him and rescued it.

Are you sure its a she and not a HE based on the pics you posted cant really see any spears on the rear feet. Such a small cast and big belly would suggest its a female or there is something going on inside of her/him. Double check cause my guess would be its a female caring infertile eggs. If thats the case you defiantly need to get her a lay box.

Are you sure its a she and not a HE based on the pics you posted cant really see any spears on the rear feet. Such a small cast and big belly would suggest its a female or there is something going on inside of her/him. Double check cause my guess would be its a female caring infertile eggs. If thats the case you defiantly need to get her a lay box.
Absolutely positive it’s a boy

This is very much a male... My concern is the abdomen that is distended. Normally when they are overweight you see it in the casque and limbs. With him there is no sign of weight issues.

Unless he is just puffing up because he is so stressed. They will do this. Kinda like how a puffer will. It is quite amazing to see one do it because its not as common as them flattening out and becoming aggressive.

I would pull him back to a normal feeding schedule with proper supplements. I know you said the vet is not an option right now but do try to get a fecal in asap. Do not cross contaminate anything in the mean time just in case he does have a parasite load.

Hydrate really well by providing a dripper during the day onto his plants.

Make sure UVB is on point. Looks like something may be going on with his wrist. Maybe an old injury or could be MBD from their improper care. Ensure that his basking temp is 80-85 max.

This is very much a male... My concern is the abdomen that is distended. Normally when they are overweight you see it in the casque and limbs. With him there is no sign of weight issues.

Unless he is just puffing up because he is so stressed. They will do this. Kinda like how a puffer will. It is quite amazing to see one do it because its not as common as them flattening out and becoming aggressive.

I would pull him back to a normal feeding schedule with proper supplements. I know you said the vet is not an option right now but do try to get a fecal in asap. Do not cross contaminate anything in the mean time just in case he does have a parasite load.

Hydrate really well by providing a dripper during the day onto his plants.

Make sure UVB is on point. Looks like something may be going on with his wrist. Maybe an old injury or could be MBD from their improper care. Ensure that his basking temp is 80-85 max.
The UVB is my least concern about the previous owner’s care because he was living outdoor in Southern California, so he got quite some light for sure, I’ll keep an eye on the wrist and I’ll fix diet, supplements, water, humidity, lights and temperature. I’ll take him to the vet ASAP! Thanks @Beman for being always available and helpful, you’re the best!!

Just wanted to share with you guys and get some guesses about his health and if you have any suggestions on how to bring him back to an healthy life. Unfortunately I just spent $1000+ for the other Cham that's coming so I can not afford a vet visit just yet, I probably will in 1-2 weeks, but in the meantime I would like to do what I can for him.
In the meantime, take a fresh fecal sample in for parasite load. Outdoors+distended abdomen is highly suggestive of parasitic infestation. Depending on the parasite, very little nutrients could be making it into his system.

You won't need a full visit for just this test, however you will for treatment. At least you'll know where you are and can research what you have to.

The UVB is my least concern about the previous owner’s care because he was living outdoor in Southern California, so he got quite some light for sure, I’ll keep an eye on the wrist and I’ll fix diet, supplements, water, humidity, lights and temperature. I’ll take him to the vet ASAP! Thanks @Beman for being always available and helpful, you’re the best!!
Yeah I am on the same line of thinking as @kinyonga per the MBD potential. Also you said they had a garbage bag covering the cage right? So no supplementation then potential is higher since they were giving him crickets. Not like he was wild and feeding on bugs that were eating all sorts of crap lol.

It is good you took him in. At least he is at the point of saving right now. He may always want to bite you though lol. Veileds are a bit spicy that way. :hilarious:

He just "went to the bathroom" for the first time and I've noticed there's no white, yellow or orange waste.. it also had a hair-looking end that made it harder for him to expell. Any thoughts? Btw it smells bad so I'm pretty sure the guesses about parasites were correct. @Klyde O'Scope @Beman

Here's a picture

IMG_20210808_094617.jpg

He's still not eating probably because of the new environment, but I'm keeping a dripper on along with misting sessions and some crickets dusted with D3 (I do D3 every other Saturday)

He just "went to the bathroom" for the first time and I've noticed there's no white, yellow or orange waste.. it also had a hair-looking end that made it harder for him to expell. Any thoughts? Btw it smells bad so I'm pretty sure the guesses about parasites were correct. @Klyde O'Scope @Beman

Here's a picture

View attachment 307220

He's still not eating probably because of the new environment, but I'm keeping a dripper on along with misting sessions and some crickets dusted with D3 (I do D3 every other Saturday)
Get the fecal run with a sample that is no older then 24 hours. the fresher the better.

So odor. Lets be honest cham poop does have an odor. Now if its really bad it could be parasites. Could be he held it in longer. No urate and just fecal does not mean anything specifically. Just keep water on him and let him hydrate. Could be he was having issues with dehydration due to his crap set up outside.

Update, so he eventually finished up and expelled a very white waste, what I found in his enclosure when I started cleaning it was shocking though. I think he puked a massive undigested ball of crickets, the good thing is that he's skinny now, but I'm very concerned about his health.
IMG_20210808_163108.jpg

Today I also ended up rescuing ANOTHER cham, a female this time, receptive and also with a similar past as this little guy..
IMG_20210808_163033.jpg

Back
Top Bottom