Rescued Cham

Pisul

hello guys !

I am from Poland and I have something for you. I went to the University in my city and I saw that their chameleon is in very bad condition. She is very skinny, she in unhydrated, she hasn't got 4-5 fingers + claws, she is weak and she has deformed right arm. Probably she hasn't got enough UVB or calcium. She ate zophobas so i think she had not enought good things to eat, she cannot should properly with her tongue (she comes very close to my hand and just grab the cricket). She cannot hunt by herself, she looks like she doesn't know that crickets are able to be eaten. She ate one cricket and she doesn't want anymore.
So... I am asking you for your advices to me :) I'll do my best for her :)a

P.S I will add some photos in few minutes

Well, i haven't thought that i will meet someone from Poland here :) Witam w takim razie :)

I got her to my house 2 hours ago :)
I haven't got time for anything but giving her something to eat and drink.
Yes yes i know that this is MBD, I forgot to say that she had layed eggs two times (they were empty, cause on the University they had only two females).
Guy who was taking care of her was fired, and the University hired a guy who was obssesed about snakes, so he took care about snakes and left the rest of reptiles to themselves. When i said that i will cure her, he gave me her without even thinking for a while. Here are some photos:

kam2u.jpg

kam4.JPG

kam3m.jpg

2pplmbc.jpg

I marked her deformated leg with the red circles. She has strange curves in two places (they are hard, maybe of bones)

EDIT: Fixed photos :)

Poor sweet girl. I am so happy that she has you to care for her. I just became a chameleon mommy about 4 weeks ago and today is my first time to post on this forum.
Just wanted to say how happy I am for her (and you)! :p I hope she makes a quick recovery

Hello!

I am so sorry about your new little girl.

She does indeed have MBD.

Any chance you can get liquid calcium for her? or get her to a vet to see about getting calcium injections?

Can you take her outside? if so, the natural sun is great for her.

ALso, if you can get access to pheonix worms, those are high in calcium and can help her too.

I haven't been to vet yet, It is evening my time :)
I will see vet definately, I'll try to get the liquid calcium and these phoenix worms. I also hope that she will recover fast, I wonder how does she look in her natural, not stressed colours :) I will take her outside this weekend, because it's going to be hot outside :]

Thank you all for wishing good luck. I am glad to have her aswell so I will do my best for her, I promise.

Here is a link to the only source of pheonix worms: http://allegro.pl/tylko-o-nas-hermetia-super-karma-i3165475697.html
There is no liquid calcium in Poland from what I know, but you can get calcium syrup at pharmacy.

Pisul and Mat3o, when people say on the forum say " liquid calcium " they actually do mean a calcium syrup.
This one might be the same one available in Poland:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00112G29O/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The link provided by Mat3o is written by a veterinarian who is also a cham owner and she suggests:
"A small drop of liquid calcium (without D3) can be given twice daily for a month to replace the calcium deficit." as well as other changes listed in the link.
Superworms and crickets are deficient in calcium, so dusting them is recommended.

If you can get Phoenix worms/Calciworms/Black soldier fly larvae (all 3 are the same insect), or some hornworms or silkworms they all naturally contain more calcium than crickets and superworms but the Phoenix worms/Calciworms/black Soldier fly larvae are the highest.

To rehydrate her, you can shower her, like it says on this caresheet: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/water/
"Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."

Here is a good caresheet for Veiled chams that you might enjoy:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

As Camimom mentioned, natural sunlight is excellent if the temperature outside is warm enough.

I wish you great success with getting her back to good health.
It is very kind of you to try to help her and I am very glad you are trying to help her :)

Last edited:
Pisul and Mat3o, when people say on the forum say " liquid calcium " they actually do mean a calcium syrup.
This one might be the same one available in Poland:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00112G29O/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wow, after looking EVERYWHERE for liquid calcium I find out that calcium syrup is the liquid calcium :D lol Thank you :)
Is there a different kind of liquid calcium for people and different one for reptiles, or is it the same thing?

Mat3o, the calcium syrup made for human use is what is used on reptiles.
As per the article by Ferretinmyshoes--who is a veterinarian--it should NOT contain D3 and it is administered in very small amounts--such as 1 drop given 2 times per day for a month.

The advantage of treatment by a vet with specialized knowledge of reptiles is that there are other things vets can inject to speed up the absorbtion of calcium into the bones when the MBD is more severe.

Pisul, I hope you have read the article by Ferretinmyshoes that Mat3o provided a link to.
I also hope that your cham heals quickly and that you will let us know how he is.

I hope she pulls through I know nothing really about veileds but I do know that she is with someone that cares about her already ^^ and that's what matters most, because she is with you she will be cared for as much as you possibly can. Good luck with her and keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom