Requesting Advice from Cham Owners

Sounds good- for outdoors, make sure his enclosure has plenty of foliage so he can find areas of full sun, partial sun, and full shade to thermoregulate. I would also cover 1/3 to 1/2 of my cages with a towel or tarp.

In the summer when it gets hot, I had a portion of my porch facing north so I could place my cages where they received a few hours of morning sun, shade all day from the house, and an hour or 2 of late afternoon sun before sunset, plus the cages had foliage and a tarp as described above. It's only after I moved to Vegas when I had to start bringing my chameleons in during the summer (temps above 105F)....

Well, I have horrible news and am quite bummed out. I saw Pascal this morning, misted his area and fed him crickets dusted with RepCal and with Herptivite vitamins. He ate and had nice colors. I went out later to a friends house and upon return to my house, his cage fell from where it was. Must have been a gust of wind, I do live on the second floor of my apartments. When I inspected, he wasn't inside, the bottom piece of the cage came off from the fall I assume and he must have crawled out. I searched all over the balcony and even walked downstairs to try and find him hopefully on that big tree I have outside. What are the chances he is still alive? There are neighborhood cats, ducks and small birds but they don't spend too much time around my balcony area. He goes to sleep early so I'm hoping by tomorrow morning I can find him basking or should I not even bother? I feel so bad for my little cham. However aggressive he was meant nothing to me, he was my cham and I feel the worst has fallen upon him. Any suggestions? Any would be appreciated, I'm just so effing bummed.

Wait till dark and go out with a flashlight. Look in the bushes and trees, the chameleon should be on a branch near the outside of the tree where the branches thin out. It wouldn't have gone far as I have lost a veild outside for three months and found her about 10 feet from where she got lost. Also ask your neighbours to check their balconies....I've had chameleons wander into other balconies in the past.

Go out with a flashlight like RyU suggested. Chameleons sort of "glow" in the dark. Best of luck - I really hope you find your little guy :(

Well I went out and couldn't really see anything. I did find a hornworm though lol I've always heard don't feed wild bugs to your animals but is there anyway for me to make it safe for my bearded dragon as it is normally a feeder? Otherwise I'll just toss it out back to its home again. Also, any tips? I have a huge tree and a large hedge he could have gone too. I just hope he's ok.

Don't give up yet, go out this morning too and look for him basking. What are your temperatures right now?

Ditch the hornworm. If it fed on a tomato plant (which is likely) then it is toxic to eat. No sense in risking it.

Right now there isn't much sun and it's 70 degrees. It's 9:40am so I'm thinking I should go out when the sun is hitting hard around noon to 2pm.

Your best chance is to use a strong spotlight to search any and all bushes, trees, or other vegetation after dark. As Lathis said they shine in the flashlight beam and when sleeping they don't move so they are usually easy to spot. Keep looking for several nights, don't give up after one try-

Back
Top Bottom