Reptisun 10.0?

Chameleon Loco

So its time again to replace the uvb bulb i have always used a repti sun 5.0 for my cham but was wondering if the 10.0 would be better he is in a 24x24x48 screen cage

I asked the same question a while back someone said that the 10.0 is ok it just reaches deeper in the cage. But the 5.0 is enough cause your chameleon will chill at the top of the cage anyways. 5.0 is cheaper too :D

ok i bought the 5.0

i went to lll reptile .com and bought it for 19.99 and bought some calcium and some other uva lights and back lights

5.0....10.0 is not needed at all for a cham no matter the size of the cage.

That's not necessarily true. I've seen people with Reptariums say they prefer the 10.0 because they feel the mesh cage blocks too much light. The test is really temperatures.

I think 5.0 is good. I recently got a 5.0 and 10.0 but I only use the 5.0 for my chams.

IMG_1357.jpg

All research I did suggested 5.0, 2.0 being too little to be effective and 10.0 being too harsh. I guess there are exceptions to this rule like maybe the placement from the cage but it truly is as someone els already pointed out, the 10.0 does not mimic tropical sunshine and is meant for desert animals.

As the old saying goes, rather be safe than sorry

Iam in the same kind of situation, mine will be 26x26x48 with an aluminum mesh ontop. However the UV light will have a 6inch stand off distance from the top of the mesh.
So my question is do i get a 5.0 or a 10.0??

Iam in the same kind of situation, mine will be 26x26x48 with an aluminum mesh ontop. However the UV light will have a 6inch stand off distance from the top of the mesh.

Good Point- I have a rack system for all of my cages, and it has about a 6-8 inch gap between the top of the cage and the lights, and I've wondered if a 10.0 would compensate for the distance. The only way to know for sure would be to invest in a UV meter, which are rather pricey.

I have a 24X24X48 aluminum screen cage. I use the 5.0 and works fine. They get the UVB while basking. (I have the basking lamp aimed below the UVB)

look at the box from the 10.0, it's for desert animals.

And if you think about it, there is absolutely no difference is desert sun and jungle sun assuming the same elevations. The only difference is what blocks the light.

And if you think about it, there is absolutely no difference is desert sun and jungle sun assuming the same elevations. The only difference is what blocks the light.

Exactly, but if you have the light above the cage, nothing will block the light. If you have plants or something between the light and the cham, then is the cham getting the UVB??

I definitely disagree with that statement, although we all live under one sun, its intensity varies dramatically because of the curvature of the earth... The sun might shine directly and without blocking in some parts and be cool and less intense regarding UVB and in some areas the UVB exposure is dangerous and the sun can burn you to a crisp.

This however is not the issue here, the real issue is [at what distance does a 10.0 UVB light's effects become equal to that of a 5.0?]

Back
Top Bottom