reptipro 5000

DOH! :mad:

Okay Plan B. Have it shipped to an American buddy (preferably in a State that is close to you) then go and pick it up.

What is it with Canada and not being able to import any thing? :confused:

the reason many sellers dont ship it to canada is because the refridgerant imposes shipping restrictions for international shipping which make it a hassle for the seller. a 60 second google search and one phone call verified at least one outfit that can ship the princess mr-148 digital minifridge to canada. http://www.smarthome.com/91312/Deluxe-Digital-Mini-Fridge-Cooler-Warmer-MR-148/p.aspx ,(where it is currenntly on sale for$100). if a guy spent 15 min on it. they could probably come up with at least a few other places that ship to canada. there is also an ebay seller that ships to canada http://cgi.ebay.com/25ltr-Mini-Frid...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b5189a2a (you might also try ebay canada), the same fridge is also sold under several other names cold-mate/ thermo- kool/ tool -king, (also reptipro 5000) probably several others. if you do your homework you will probably find someplace that sells or ships to canada cheaper than the ones i have recomended. the biggest problem is , if you buy one and there is a problem with it, then what do you do ? . most retailers wont pay or reimburse for return shipping, which could be substantial (probably around $50 or more would be my guess), because of the refridgerant you may run into a problem other than cost if you need to ship it back to the us (i have researched them on previous occassions and defective or problem units are not unheard of) they are made in china afterall. if you contacted princess international directly (who also sells them and has a nyc showroom and may also be able to ship to canada) they may be able to give you the name of a canadian distributor , anyone who sells them (in the us) gets them from princess international ,they are the exclusive us importer, there may be a canadian importer as well , and they (PI) would know. http://www.giftsatprincess.com/display.asp?CategoryID=164 i bet if you looked hard enough you could find somebody in canada who sells it

thanks my friend i tink the m148 do the same job of reptipro5000 i chek that .thanks for your help
the reason many sellers dont ship it to canada is because the refridgerant imposes shipping restrictions for international shipping which make it a hassle for the seller. a 60 second google search and one phone call verified at least one outfit that can ship the princess mr-148 digital minifridge to canada. http://www.smarthome.com/91312/Deluxe-Digital-Mini-Fridge-Cooler-Warmer-MR-148/p.aspx ,(where it is currenntly on sale for$100). if a guy spent 15 min on it. they could probably come up with at least a few other places that ship to canada. there is also an ebay seller that ships to canada http://cgi.ebay.com/25ltr-Mini-Frid...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b5189a2a (you might also try ebay canada), the same fridge is also sold under several other names cold-mate/ thermo- kool/ tool -king, (also reptipro 5000) probably several others. if you do your homework you will probably find someplace that sells or ships to canada cheaper than the ones i have recomended. the biggest problem is , if you buy one and there is a problem with it, then what do you do ? . most retailers wont pay or reimburse for return shipping, which could be substantial (probably around $50 or more would be my guess), because of the refridgerant you may run into a problem other than cost if you need to ship it back to the us (i have researched them on previous occassions and defective or problem units are not unheard of) they are made in china afterall. if you contacted princess international directly (who also sells them and has a nyc showroom and may also be able to ship to canada) they may be able to give you the name of a canadian distributor , anyone who sells them (in the us) gets them from princess international ,they are the exclusive us importer, there may be a canadian importer as well , and they (PI) would know. http://www.giftsatprincess.com/display.asp?CategoryID=164 i bet if you looked hard enough you could find somebody in canada who sells it

there may be slight differences from the actual reptipro 5000, however they are the same basic unit, and both originate from princess international (if purchased in the us . / there is another guy on ebay(us) who sells them with a supposed upgrade of the thermostat and temp control unit for a price of about $300/ i dont want to get to specific but there was speculation that they were carefully used until they died and then refurbished and repackaged by the seller,/ it is my understanding that the mr-138 has been discontinued (now mr-148) good luck , dont let my post scare you away , i know that many have had great success with this unit in its stock form

Hi guys this is my first post in these forums. I know there is a lot of talk that our incubator the ReptiPro 5000 is the same as the think geek fridge and this other unit from princess. This is simply not the case.

We ordered the cases from china to save money on production costs and it just so happens that they look similar. We wish this had not been the case but we did not even realize this untill we saw it posted in another forum.

There are some differences in the way our incubator works as opposed to these other units. First off our unit contains no coolant or other chemicals to heat or cool the air. Thus they can be shipped internationally. Secondly our thermostat I would guess is much better quality from what I hear. We have a fairly tight heat anticipator setting and have heard these other units temps can fluctuate wildly. They were simply not designed to be used as incubators. Lastly our unit does not dry out the air when it heats or cools like a mini fridge would. Therefore it will hold humidity in the 90's consistently with the water tray only needing filled every couple of months. These are just the basics of what sets our incubators apart from these fridgerators.

Also you can see by the pictures that our unit is not the same as the think geek and princess model. Also the response that our unit origionates from Princess International is simply a lie. Our unt is made from parts from China and assembled here in the USA.

It also seems strange that all the replies to this question were from people in Washington. Please don't compare our unit to the others just because they may look the same. They simply are not.

Thanks guys for hearing me out and allowing us to state our side of the story. We are currently developing a new case for the reptipro 5000 and also another unit that is larger for pro breeders. We will not make the same mistake twice in having our products confused with other things.

Chris Baker
ReptiPro

First off our unit contains no coolant or other chemicals to heat or cool the air.

If your unit cools, it has to have some sort of coolant, even if it is just nitrogen or ammonia in the lines. Even using water (not very effective) it is still some form of coolant. I would be very interested in hearing just what kind of non coolant you are using.

No reason to get snippy, I was asking how you did it because I was unaware of how it could be done. Not trying to indicate you are full of BS. Thanks for the lesson. That is very interesting.

I do have to wonder, if this technology is so old, dating back to the late 1800s, why it isn't used more in commercial applications. It wasn't even covered in my HVAC classes I have taken.

thats nice to know, i got my information directly from princess who claimed they were the sole us importer, the mr 138-148 are also both thermoelectric peltier devices, so i dont know why i was told refridgerant was the issue ? i should have caught that but i didnt , the person on the phone did not have the best english, and i have seen a couple of posts where people were dissatisfied with the 138/148 ability to stay on temp , but then it is not intended to be used as a reptile incubator . there is a difference between lying and being misinformed , i can only go by what i am told. my apologies for any misinformation i may have disseminated

Sorry to get bent out of shape guys. It has just been a frustrating experiance having all this confusion and having to explain ourselves every day.

Princess may be the only importer of their product but ours is not the same. We get the box or shell of the unit from china and put our guts in it. It just so happened that we got a really similar shell. Believe me we are kicking ourselves over that mistake everyday but what can we do.

I guess the peltier device has not been used much more than it has because it is limited in the effectivness to cool/heat larger volumes. I think it also relatively unknown for whatever reason. It is weird that you would not learn about such things in HVAC. Maybe there is a way to make it work with large volumes. There is a good idea to work on for home A/C. Also may not be ecenomical for large applications. We don't really know. All we know is that it has worked well with our incubator.

Once again sorry for the confusion and fuss.

Chris
ReptiPro

The mr138 and 148 are also both Thermoelectric Peltier Devices, and appear to have more in-common with the repti-pro 5000 then just their shell. The MR138 and 148 are also assembled from parts made in China.

The reptipro 5000 may indeed have a better quality thermostat with a tighter heat anticipator setting, but is that worth and extra $175 to someone?

The humidity problem is easily fixed by adding a small tub of water to the mr148. Other then that I do not see how the reptipro could possibly hold humidity in better/not dry out the air, as both units use the same Thermoelectric Peltier cooling?

Regardless, both are made from parts from China, which we all know are not the greatest in quality!

i suppose both the original poster and myself are partially at fault for not checking with reptipro directly,(where it clearly states buy it now for $249.97 canada shipping for $30.05) as participants in an expensive hobby most of us are constantly seeking ways to do things cheaper. and as the case with princess international, and many other large commercial entities, they are not always that forthcoming about the origin of their products or who else sells them, and in many cases (such as in the case of where a product is simply bought from abroad and resold) they are not always that informed about their own product, at least at the the phone inquiry /customer service level. i have kept my eye on this product for several months now (only recently in the case of the reptipro 5000) and have made several inquiries, and have viewed probably at least 50+ posts on the (138-148) unit. as well have viewed all pictures i could find (on both the reptipro and 138/148) at magnified levels, so far the only differences i have been able to notice are the reptipro decal and possibly the shelf , which seems to vary according to where the unit is bought , maybe the differences would be more noticeable, if you pointed them out to us specifically. in all of the posts i have viewed i have never heared of the temp "fluctuating wildly", but i will not resort to calling you a liar, i have seen a few posts were people complained as to the temp being off by as much as two degrees, (which i would imagine is partly due to the ambient temperature of the surrounding room ) just out of curiosity , how close can the reptipro 5000 hold its temp in a room that fluctuates as much as 20* ? (on a hot day my bedroom may starts out at 70* but get as high as 90*) . to me a $100-150 seems like it would be a lot of extra to pay for an extra degree or so of temp control (another broad assumption , i am assuming that there is at least some varience from the temp setting in the reptipro 5000 as well, but maybe i am wrong) in all fairness to the mr138/148, one of the more favorable frequent comments was its ability to hold the humidity (as compared to many of the other similarly priced incubators on the market). one final thought , one way to limit the amount of dissinformation disseminated on your product , would be to simply do a better job of getting first hand detailed and specific information out there yourself. one way to limit negative posts (at least on cf ) would be , to become a cf sponser, as site rules discourage negative posts about cf sponsers. this recent post was certainly not the first post inquiring as to this "style" of incubator (and likely not the last ), and chameleons often produce fairly large clutches, which require fairly specific temperatures and a close eye be kept , so this forum (which has quite a few members) would probably be a good place to market this type of incubator, but then its just a personal thought, its certainly not my place to give business advice to anyone. and yes we here in washington are a curious bunch ! sorry for any misunderstandings /edit/ ps request for clarification; in your previous post you said "we put our guts in it" does that mean that you manufacture the thermostat , heat anticipator and fridge liner yourself ? or are those parts supplied by china as well ? from what i can tell about the pictures i have reviewed , the fridge liner looks identical to the mr 148, of course the internal parts are not pictured , so once again, i can only go by what i am told, i would be curious to see some pictures or documentation showing the actuall specific differences in the reptipro 5000 control unit ?, maybe some actual specs (as opposed to just claiming the differences), would be nice too ! in regards to the only specs given on your own website they look as thought they were just cut and pasted from a princess mr 148 description ( exact same wording order and formatting but maybe thats just a coincidence ?). if you are going to charge up to an additional $150 for what APPEARS to be ESSENTIALLY the same unit , some specific verification does not seem all that unreasonable of a request, (but thats just me). and just for the record, you are not the first person i have p o'd on cf or other forums

so if i chek what the guy said for the same job its good if i keep the mr 148 and i save 150$ thats what i see.

? shhhh , did i hear a pin drop ? (or was it a ball ?) silence is golden (and worth a thousand words)

Needlessly resorting to childish behavior is also worth a thousand words. You stated your thoughts, leave it at that, no need to ridicule the guy a couple days later when he hasn't replied yet or on the wall of his profile for optional information he already posted in this thread.

Chris

If your unit cools, it has to have some sort of coolant, even if it is just nitrogen or ammonia in the lines. Even using water (not very effective) it is still some form of coolant. I would be very interested in hearing just what kind of non coolant you are using.

Indeed...I'm curious now. Perhaps you have to have it charged once you get it?

Back
Top Bottom