Reptile Symposium

Texas Panther Man

I attended the Reptile Symposium last Fri Sept 28th here in Houston. I couldnt believe it was so poorly attended. :confused: The free information that was avail to the hobbyists and breeders was invaluable to anyone wanting to know how to do importing & exporting. I was really suprised to be the only chameleon hobbyist breeder there.

The USFWS had 2 representatives in attendance and they spent about half an hr going over the various forms & permits needed and the time frames needed to get the permits issued. After talking to USFWS permit dept rep and the head of the inspection dept for Houston it really eliminated most of my fears and concerns. They really arent the evil empire that they are portrayed to be by most. In fact their only concern is the LEGAL trade of the animals and their safety.

That's a shame, I would love to attend a meeting that would help me with a few questions on importing and exporting, it's in my future plans to export my young and also trades for new lines

That's awesome you got to attend. How did you come across the info or did they advertise the event? I would love to attend a seminar with information such as import/export. I figured they would talk about stuff like that at the Repticon shows they're having through out the states. Is there a website that offers any info such as importing/exporting of chameleons. I searched but ran into TradeAgea and different sites that claims to have reptile farms with wild caught and captive bred chams. Problem is I've heard horror stories about people loosing thousands to online sellers overseas. I've saved up money to buy my imports from showjet this time around. I know that has to be a huge job to deal with with all the paperwork and fees.

This was advertised on Kingsnake and other sites for months. The East Texas Herp Society sponsored the event. Im a member of ETHS so I went.

You can find the info on usfws.org but get ready to read til your eyes bleed. lol I had alot more questions than answers when I was reading on their site.

As far as losing $$ goes. Thats where Im at now. I am looking for a reputable exporter. Thats seems to be the hardest part of importing wc's. Its like going to vegas and rolling craps as far as trusting someone half way around the world with your $$$. Then also depending on them to properly document the shipment so that usfws doesnt hold it upon inspection or god forbid have to send it back due to improper paperwork on the exporters end. Your not just depending on them to ship what you paid for. Your also relying on them to get the proper documents stamped and everything in the shipment listed properly before its sent.

That's awesome you got to attend. How did you come across the info or did they advertise the event? I would love to attend a seminar with information such as import/export. I figured they would talk about stuff like that at the Repticon shows they're having through out the states. Is there a website that offers any info such as importing/exporting of chameleons. I searched but ran into TradeAgea and different sites that claims to have reptile farms with wild caught and captive bred chams. Problem is I've heard horror stories about people loosing thousands to online sellers overseas. I've saved up money to buy my imports from showjet this time around. I know that has to be a huge job to deal with with all the paperwork and fees.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom