Reptile super show?

Wartortle

I'm new to the forum and currently do not have a chameleon yet. I honestly want to get all the information down first before I even own one so it gets the proper husbandry. My setup is complete for the most part. The only thing I'm missing is the panther chameleon!
My question is this: should I wait to get a panther chameleon at the reptile super show in San Diego this July? I've bought tortoises at reptile conventions and they're perfectly fine. But would something like this stress a chameleon out too much?
If not, what breeders/sites would you recommend for my first panther chameleon?
Any advice, questions, and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

If you buy at a show you run the risk of obtaining a chameleon that is unhealthy, or been given the wrong locale designation. If you go to the "view our sponsors" link, they all are reputable.

You also could pull up the vendors list on the San Diego show and see if any of our sponsors are going to have chameleons there.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Quite a few of them are going to be there!! That sounds great so far. I know kammerflage and FL Chams will be there so hopefully they'll have a pretty good variety to choose from.

If you buy at a show you run the risk of obtaining a chameleon that is unhealthy, or been given the wrong locale designation. If you go to the "view our sponsors" link, they all are reputable.

You also could pull up the vendors list on the San Diego show and see if any of our sponsors are going to have chameleons there.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

I have gotten a cham from the show in pomona, and he was very unhealthy. He had many problems, so I would not recommend it. I would get it from Kammerflage or FL chams too, I didn't know much when I got him.

Quite a few of them are going to be there!! That sounds great so far. I know kammerflage and FL Chams will be there so hopefully they'll have a pretty good variety to choose from.

You have some of the major online breeders at the San Diego and Pomona Shows coming up. If you buy from a reputable breeder then picking one up at the show is the way to go because you can do a selection in person. Get there Saturday morning for best selection.

The one thing I recommend against doing is going to the show looking for the best deal. Because you will find one. And then you have thrown away the known quality for $50 to $100 which feels great at the time, but could turn to regret when you find out how much the vet visit is.

My suggestion is to call up your potential breeders that will be at the show now and ask a couple questions. What you are doing is finding out if you like their customer service and getting a feel for whether they will be there after the sale to help you out with what ever comes up. Once you find a breeder you like then go to their booth directly, get your panther and do not second guess that great decision when you turn the corner and see another panther for half the cost. There is a reason why it is half the cost. Even if the quality is the same (you could get lucky), the support will not be.

Bill

You have some of the major online breeders at the San Diego and Pomona Shows coming up. If you buy from a reputable breeder then picking one up at the show is the way to go because you can do a selection in person. Get there Saturday morning for best selection.

The one thing I recommend against doing is going to the show looking for the best deal. Because you will find one. And then you have thrown away the known quality for $50 to $100 which feels great at the time, but could turn to regret when you find out how much the vet visit is.

My suggestion is to call up your potential breeders that will be at the show now and ask a couple questions. What you are doing is finding out if you like their customer service and getting a feel for whether they will be there after the sale to help you out with what ever comes up. Once you find a breeder you like then go to their booth directly, get your panther and do not second guess that great decision when you turn the corner and see another panther for half the cost. There is a reason why it is half the cost. Even if the quality is the same (you could get lucky), the support will not be.

Bill
Perfectly put.

Reptile shows are usually so inflated.. I would bring cash and be ready to bargain! The sponsors that are at these shows have already spent so much $$ to get out to the show and pay for a booth. They charge so much for each animal because they know people are specifically coming for the animals. I've been to numerous reptile and aquarium shows. Trust me, it's mostly marked up prices and stressed animals. I would suggest finding a local breeder. If your near San Diego go to LLLreptile.

First, I want to say congrats on the fact that are well prepared before buying your cham. You will be much more successful for it, and be a much better cham owner.

I have to agree with scout, reptile show prices are inflated. And I always heard reptile shows have great deals and bargain prices... Not any that I've went to!

BUT(!!!!) imho, you do not want to buy a chameleon at a bargain price, because you almost always get what you pay for. If you see a chameleon priced much lower than the going price, either someone is trying to get rid of it asap (because it's not healthy, dying, etc.), or because it's been inadequately bred/raised/housed and had no medical care. Good, healthy chameleons are somewhat expensive because they take money to raise, feed, house, take to vet visits, etc. Buying from a reputable breeder (online or a local breeder you can visit and observe their husbandry standards) it's worth every penny.

Of course all that is just my opinion based on my experience.

I'll keep it simple.

If you just buy a bargain chameleon, you get what you pay for.

Kammerflage chameleons on the other hand you get lifetime support, I've known Ed for over 20 years in this business and you will not find a more honest man selling these animals. His animals are not the cheapest, but when you see his set ups, hear him speak, and look at his animals, you'll understand what you are getting for your money.

Then it's your call.

Back
Top Bottom