Reptile proofing the house!?

CrazyChamLady13

Good morning...

We all here it about other pets. Ferret proofing, kitten proofing, puppy proofing and kid proofing the house.... what about reptile proofing? I let my beardie free range the apartment when were home. But I like leaving the front door open in the morning. Unfortunately there's no screen door, so I constantly have to watch him and make sure that nothing happens. Luckily he usually lays at the front door in the sun. Sometimes I have to chase him down.

So with that being said... how does everyone reptile proof there homes? I'm aware that if they aren't watched, they can slip away within seconds. There's so many trees here that I'm afraid I'd never never find my little Guy.

Side note... my little cham will have his own outdoor enclosure and thinking about doing the same for beardie.

Why not create a little "doggy dog" for the beardie? It wouldn't have to be anything fancy, a strip of cardboard would be enough. Then you wouldn't have to worry about him making a break for it.

In my opinion, the good thing about chameleons is that they really don't run away, at least inside. If I put one out on a bookshelf to wander around and leave the room for an hour, I know that he'll pretty much still be on the bookshelf, or somewhere else that is nearby and tall, like curtains. But they will never run under the bed or fridge and hide out there, that's not their strategy.

When I free ranged everyone in my apartment I just made sure that electrical cords were hard to find and climb, that there weren't sharp objects they could try to climb (so no knives, sissors, box cutters, etc. on the desks) and a couple other small precautions like that. I did have sheets of acrylic plastic as gates to block off doorways (like into the kitchen) or to block them into a room. They can't climb smooth surfaces so it was easy to keep them in.

Why not create a little "doggy dog" for the beardie? It wouldn't have to be anything fancy, a strip of cardboard would be enough. Then you wouldn't have to worry about him making a break for it.

In my opinion, the good thing about chameleons is that they really don't run away, at least inside. If I put one out on a bookshelf to wander around and leave the room for an hour, I know that he'll pretty much still be on the bookshelf, or somewhere else that is nearby and tall, like curtains. But they will never run under the bed or fridge and hide out there, that's not their strategy.

When I free ranged everyone in my apartment I just made sure that electrical cords were hard to find and climb, that there weren't sharp objects they could try to climb (so no knives, sissors, box cutters, etc. on the desks) and a couple other small precautions like that. I did have sheets of acrylic plastic as gates to block off doorways (like into the kitchen) or to block them into a room. They can't climb smooth surfaces so it was easy to keep them in.

Interesting. When i loose a family member the first thing we all do is check the electrical cords at the end of the day. Normally someone is hanging out at the end of one end or the other.

Interesting. When i loose a family member the first thing we all do is check the electrical cords at the end of the day. Normally someone is hanging out at the end of one end or the other.

Yep, that's pretty true for chameleons! Either up on cords or on something high. I always look up - typical that they're on your curtain rod, a lamp, bookcase, etc.

Lol ok... unfortunately we don't have any tall furniture... yet. We do have cords out and laying around. I really like the acylic door ideal.

Back
Top Bottom