Repti Glo 10.0 or 5.0 Compact

Javier

Does Repti Glo 10.0 Compact Desert Terrarium Lamp have too much UV light for a Jackson or Veiled Chameleon? Is there is such thing as too much UV?

My Jackson lives in a screen cage and this is the only one that says that is good for screen cages or the 5.0 is OK for a screen cage?

Thank you
Javier

neither, i would go a 5.0 linear flourescent light :) zoomed reptiSUN needs to be changed every 10-12 months. exo-terra reptiGLO needs to be changed every 5-6 months.

There is such a thing as too much UV and 10.0 vs 5.0 indicates the concentration. The lower concentration is better for rainforest species like chams that hide in trees and the higher concentration is better for desert species that are always esposed to the sun. Too much UV can cause burns or eye issues so chams need 5.0 lights. The coil (CFL) is less recommended because in the past there have manufacturing defects that cause too much light to be emitted and therefore can cause sometimes permanent eye damage. It's generally recommended to get the linear bulbs that haven't had the problem, although the reptiglo CFLs have not been associated with very many eye issues, it was almost entirely the reptisun CFLs.

That's the first I've heard of reptisun needing to be changed less often than reptiglo, are you sure about that?

Last edited:
Thanks for your input but I have another Question, would the 5.0 be sufficient even with the screen cage?

Thanks
Javier

Yes as long as it is less than a foot away from your cham's basking spot (I think, but I could be off a little on the distance - should say on the box). And if you line the inside of the light hood with foil (dull side out) it will increase the amount of light that gets through. One of the members on here did an experiment using a UVB meter to test it. The 10.0 doesn't necessarily reach farther, it just puts out more UVB.

10.0 works just fine, especially with a cage with very thick mesh/screen. Plus you can have the basking spot further from the light if needed with a thick cage and the animal will still get enough UVB. However, I believe the reptiglo compacts are no longer safe as they changed the way they made them or something. You want a new type reptisun if you want a compact.

Now, the reason I do not recommend a compact (especially a 10.0) is because it doesn't cover as much area as a tube. With a tube you can have a UVB only basking spot AND a heat/UVB combo basking spot. Then the animal does not have to choose between UVB and heat. JMO.

Reptisuns do last longer than reptiglos. I would say 8-9 months max is when you should change the reptisuns if you don't have a UVB meter. Reptiglos are recommended to be changed every 6 months on the forums.

neither, i would go a 5.0 linear flourescent light :) zoomed reptiSUN needs to be changed every 10-12 months. exo-terra reptiGLO needs to be changed every 5-6 months.

And I've had to replace reptiSUNs after 6 months of use and reptiGLOs after 11 months of use in two identical fixtures.

Testing with Solarmeter 6.2

However, I believe the reptiglo compacts are no longer safe as they changed the way they made them or something. You want a new type reptisun if you want a compact.

Really? I've heard the opposite...do you have evidence of this? (Not arguing, just want to know so I don't recommend the wrong thing)

And I've had to replace reptiSUNs after 6 months of use and reptiGLOs after 11 months of use in two identical fixtures.

Testing with Solarmeter 6.2

It think it's pretty variable still so I was under the impression it was recommended to change either reptiglo or reptisun after 6 months if you're not measuring UVB to be on the safe side. That's why that statement that one was definitely longer struck me as odd...

Dave Weldon made a few posts about it before. You could probably find more information about it on the yahoo group. They all (mostly all) have meters and report all kinds of stuff about the UVB lights today. I can't quite remember the name, but it has something to do the the UVB meters.

My compacts have not showed any ill effects to my reptiles. I like the reptisun 5.0 visual light compared to the Compact Reptiglo 5.0s though. I have both Linear bulbs and compact bulbs. I have reptiglo compacts and reptisun linear bulbs all going right now. No 10.0s though all 2.0 Full spectrum for plants and visual light and 5.0s for you guessed it the UVB.

I thought my Compact 5.0 Reptiglo was making my baby panther squint so I did change it out with the 5.0 Reptisun Linear, but the cage still has a compact 2.0 reptiglo and no squinting again. That was day 1 I got him though so he could have been squinting for any reason. So I just try to knock out possibilities and changed it.

how long have they been kept under compacts and what year were your reptiglos made in? :)

Using compacts on Chameleons not long to be honest 3 months tops, but my geckos a lot longer which mine are nocturnal unless you have some weirdos like me and then they like to frequent the daytime for some odd reason. Every bulb I have right now has been purchased in 2010 All Compacts and Linear bulbs reptisuns and reptiglos. If im trying to achieve UVB i go with linear 18 inch 5.0 for me. Visual Light its easier to use compact 2.0s since I have all Exo Terra Terriums and they all came with dual or single compact hoods. I would instantly change anything if I noticed the slightest irritation. Trust me Im around the room long enough to notice. My chams are not in the EXOs terrariums just to make that clear though well one is but its screened exo terra one. I just use the Hoods since I have them. I prefer linear bulbs over compacts but I don't think Repti Glo is not safe. Maybe some chams just have light Allergies;)

Back
Top Bottom