reptarium zip up cages

lvbg1435

what are the ups and down on the reptarium zip up cages?
Ive never used them.
i normally use zoomed breeze.

I found the zip lasted about a year, then broke and began to come apart at the stitching.
I had to replace my zip with velcro.
Can be a pain getting in/out since its one large zip. (bigger pain now)
Otherwise the mesh is strong, and its working out ok.
Mesh is black (atleast on mine) and seems to cut light considerably, I use an extra flouro to get it brighter. :)
On the upside, they come apart easy, can be steamcleaned, and come in large sizes.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/homers-new-habitat-pic-heavy-23923/?highlight=homer+habitat

Not sure if this is the type your asking about?

I like 'em!

You can wrap the PVC pipe to make it "crawlable" you can easily hang things from the frame before putting the mesh on. You can decide for yourself what side opens.

If you want to reuse a cage for a new chameleon, it's a simple matter to run the whole mess through the "sanitation" setting on the Dish washer.

You can buy an extra mesh and accomplish a deep clean by simply switching meshes every few months without overly disturbing your chameleon.

The bottom is completely mesh so it's easy to put over a drainage drawer.

You can even build a frame to hold it, so the bottom is non-supported over the drawer, which means if your chameleon falls, it will not have a hard landing.

IME,

Pros:

-Darker and seems to make the animals feel more secure
-Easy to clean and take apart
-Holds humidity a little longer
-less expensive
-Last long with care
-Easy drainage
-Easy on their nails

Cons:

-A little wobbly
-Dark, hard to see through
-Shakes a little when being opened
-Needs a stronger UVB light
-Wont last long if you're rough with it

Pros over the aluminum zoomed cages:

-No rust
-Easier to put together
-Easier on their nails and toes
-Less expensive

is it true that crickets eat through the mesh on those and escape, I believe I have read that somewhere on here

i like them also! i had time this morning to set my 175 gallon cage up. and its really nice. i thought it was going to be darker but really its like the same. the good thing about it is you can buy replacement mesh for it. im going to do that and make my own cage from pvc pipe from home depot. it will be a lot stronger and hopefully wont cost that much to make. i would say the only thing i dont like about it is when you put a light on the top it sags quite a bit. but they send you those clip things with the cage to get rid of some of that. Overall i think they are a good idea!:D

is it true that crickets eat through the mesh on those and escape, I believe I have read that somewhere on here

if you remove the crickets at the end of everyday then you wont have a problem.:) and even if you don't it will take a while for the crickets to eat through the mesh.

Never had any problems with crickets over here... Of course, I don't leave crickets in there to chew through them though.

That can happen. Being middle aged and having had to take "home ec" classes when I was young, I can wield a needle and thread and patch those up in a few seconds.

I'll note that all of my "chompers" have chewed through the BOTTOM of the cage and ended up in the drainage tub. Silly things. I don't feel a huge pressure to repair the bottom of the cage. I save that for when I change out the mesh.

Back
Top Bottom