Removing crickets from cage

MJL

Just wondering if anyone has any ingenious way of doing this? I currently painstakingly fish around with tongs in the cage. I hate it, my veiled doesn't appreciate it. I'd prefer not to stick to cup feeding if possible.

Just wondering if anyone has any ingenious way of doing this? I currently painstakingly fish around with tongs in the cage. I hate it, my veiled doesn't appreciate it. I'd prefer not to stick to cup feeding if possible.

I'm not sure if there's a graceful way to do it either. I just stick my hand in the cage and grab them pretty much one by one. It would be interesting to find out if there's another way

I'm imagining some inside out packing tape on the end of some tongs. Who knows, you might see it on a late night infomercial soon.

I put a toilet paper roll or egg carton in there about 15-30 mins after feeding and usually find them on there. Pick up it and back to the bin. If they're not there, a grab them anyway I can with my hand or even a wet paper towel if one is being particularly a pain.

When I'm trying to round up crickets I put down an egg crate.and ck it every few minutes shake off the ones collected into something else and repeat Happy hunting

If I see stray cricks or other bugs, I use a spare tea strainer or one of those small circular see-thru plastic containers. I just enclose the bug in it, then slide it up and down the cage until the bug loses its grip and falls on the side, and from there throw them back into their homes until the next feeding.

If I see stray cricks or other bugs, I use a spare tea strainer or one of those small circular see-thru plastic containers. I just enclose the bug in it, then slide it up and down the cage until the bug loses its grip and falls on the side, and from there throw them back into their homes until the next feeding.

I use the same idea. Mine is just a big party cup that I slide along the mesh until the cricket falls in.

Idk-- my Veiled almost kills all Crickets but there are always few dead ones on the ground.

Should you pick up dead crickets? do the Chameleons mind if they have dead food lying around? After a day, these dead crickets turn into nothing.

I do clean his poop as soon as I see it-- but the white stuff from dusting is what concerns me. It's always leaving white power all over his cage, plus when he shoots, the dusting flies away and it gets on the cage. Anyone know how to deal with that?

I feel like extra dust takes care of itself and just disappears eventually, especially after mistings. You could try blowing it off perhaps as well. I've never seem to have a problem getting cricks out. Use the cup sliding method and you'll be fine. I could see how it would be difficult If the cage is large and you have short arms though -_- I myself get a little irritated at the bugs That are too fast and get out reach or hide innthe brush

uploadfromtaptalk1440450695364.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1440450773218.jpg My daughter got 2 chameleons and we had no idea how to feed them so I watched a video of people feeding chameleons . 1 guy put the egg crate into a spot in the enclosure and the chams came and picked the crickets off of it. So that's what we chose and it works well for us I put it in in the am and the ones he doesn't eat go to the bottom of the egg crate to hide and later in the day I flip it over he eats more and then I put the egg crate back in the cricket bin. And when I dust I dump them onto the egg crate and that catches the dust. The crickets are kind of trained to go to the egg crate. I took out the foam background because the crickets were hiding back there. That's my system.

Idk-- my Veiled almost kills all Crickets but there are always few dead ones on the ground.

Should you pick up dead crickets? do the Chameleons mind if they have dead food lying around? After a day, these dead crickets turn into nothing.

I do clean his poop as soon as I see it-- but the white stuff from dusting is what concerns me. It's always leaving white power all over his cage, plus when he shoots, the dusting flies away and it gets on the cage. Anyone know how to deal with that?

Someone else may know better, but I always removed dead feeders ASAP. I just feel that since they are at the bottom where all the mist goes eventually, dead organisms and water are a bad combination for sanitization. I don't want my cham eating anything that is rotten or decomposing even if it has just died. I may be overly cautious, but I worry about any bacteria growing on the dead ones or the other feeders eating off the dead ones and passing things on that way. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.
Make it a great day,

Someone else may know better, but I always removed dead feeders ASAP. I just feel that since they are at the bottom where all the mist goes eventually, dead organisms and water are a bad combination for sanitization. I don't want my cham eating anything that is rotten or decomposing even if it has just died. I may be overly cautious, but I worry about any bacteria growing on the dead ones or the other feeders eating off the dead ones and passing things on that way. Just not worth the risk in my opinion.
Make it a great day,

Plus dead feeders smell a God Aweful!

View attachment 110990View attachment 110991My daughter got 2 chameleons and we had no idea how to feed them so I watched a video of people feeding chameleons . 1 guy put the egg crate into a spot in the enclosure and the chams came and picked the crickets off of it. So that's what we chose and it works well for us I put it in in the am and the ones he doesn't eat go to the bottom of the egg crate to hide and later in the day I flip it over he eats more and then I put the egg crate back in the cricket bin. And when I dust I dump them onto the egg crate and that catches the dust. The crickets are kind of trained to go to the egg crate. I took out the foam background because the crickets were hiding back there. That's my system.

I'm not sure how old you chams are? Just be careful about leaving a lot of crickets in their enclosure at night. Crickets can give a pretty good bite especially when their hungry. Make sure your crickets are being gut loaded with a good cricket food. And they also need to be dusted which might be difficult to do when the crickets are in the chams enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom