removal of hemipeneal plugs

HankeyPoo

Established Member
Just saw someone posted a video about this ? is this something that has to be done!?? not only is my Cham a little Jerk ?... I’m not sure I can stomach this ??

HankeyPoo I take it you've never had a small dog breed that's required its anal glands expressed?
https://www.petbutler.com/blog-dog-anal-gland-problems/
I take them to the vet ? or it gets done when she gets groomed every 6 months ... on top of that she actually likes me and and doesn’t stress as easily and would let me do it ??‍♀️... so yes to answer your question I do have dogs that need their anal glands done.. but thanks for the info on that I guess

I take them to the vet ? or it gets done when she gets groomed every 6 months ... on top of that she actually likes me and and doesn’t stress as easily and would let me do it ??‍♀️... so yes to answer your question I do have dogs that need their anal glands done.. but thanks for the info on that I guess
Well, likewise you could take your chameleon to the vet to have sperm plugs removed.
Problem solved?

Round here the groomers chart an extra 10 bucks to pop the butt. We are a full service shop so we pop the butt for free :)
Around here the vets charge more than that as a disincentive. They don't really want to do it, so if they have to, the client's going to pay for it.

I can see it more in the line of grooming/maintenance anyway. If we can brush & nail-clip our own dog, we can certainly put on a pair of gloves and do the other. Fortunately, we've always had larger breeds, so the situation has only come up once in 40 years after a period of medication side-effect diarrhea.

* coming across as arrogant input..
I'm sorry you feel that way; it wasn't intended in that way at all. You started this as being seemingly unaware of this aspect of reptile-keeping, and weren't sure you could stomach it. I could have characterized that as naive (or worse), but I didn't. I chose to put it in terms I thought you might relate to. When you said you put that duty off on the vet or groomer, it seemed logical to me that you could do the same with your chameleon.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

You can just easily pull them out, no worries, if you do, let his bottom sit in look warm water and then pull, if still needed to be done, it's a sperm plug, no biggie, not like you pulling a body part.

Back
Top Bottom