Remains at the bottom and sleeps

Crusader

So here I am again, the black line (which may have been a burn) across my Jackson's back has disappeared without a trace. Since my last post, all Steggy has done is remain at the bottom of the cage in the coolest area and sleeps all day.

I haven't seen him eat, and the number of crickets in his cage doesn't look like it has diminished at all.
When I pick him up off the ground, he is cold to the touch. He has energy, is aware, and crawls around. But not much.
He still doesn't really use his front arms and rests his head constantly.

He sounds pretty unhealthy. I would take him to a vet as soon as you can. It may have some parasites, definitely if it was wild caught.

Honestly, if he is sleeping at the bottom of the cage during the day like that, I would say his condition is dire. I would get him to a vet that knows chameleons asap. Also, it might be a good idea to fill out the ask for help form in the health clinic. Maybe there is something in your set up causing him to fall ill. Pics of the whole enclosure would help also. Have you had your chameleon tested for parasites ever??

I'm trying to get a appointment for him as soon as possible. With work, it's been a pain considering the only vet in the area who works on reptiles opens after I go into work, and closes before I get out.

I believe earlier he may have hurt him front arms (Cat attacked his cage. Cat is in a lot of trouble.) when he may have fallen, preventing him from climbing. I believe this is what happened. It was all while I was away.

Now for parasites, could it have been from crickets bought at a Petco? I noticed he regurgitated two of them a few days ago before this started. He's never done that before.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get a appointment for him as soon as possible. With work, it's been a pain considering the only vet in the area who works on reptiles opens after I go into work, and closes before I get out.

I believe earlier he may have hurt him front arms (Cat attacked his cage. Cat is in a lot of trouble.) when he may have fallen, preventing him from climbing. I believe this is what happened. It was all while I was away.

Now for parasites, could it have been from crickets bought at a Petco? I noticed he regurgitated two of them a few days ago before this started. He's never done that before.

Just a fair warning to everybody, petco has been getting diseased animals and feeders for awhile now. Some kid here in Oklahoma got a pet mouse and got bite and had rabies. iv bought fish from them that didn't even last a week. and there crickets killed one of my geckos a few months back. iv been getting crickets from great ghans since then. just a warning to all to not even try petco until they get it straightened out

Last edited:
I'm at work right now so I can't get pictures. Posting from my phone.

Until I can get a vet appointment, what tips can I get to help? I mist his cage with warm watereevery hour. My little sister who is staying with us does so while I'm at work.

I tried to get him to eat some mealworms and/or crickets this morning. He just showed no interest like he has for the past couple days.

Got a vet appointment today and took a extended lunch to get Steggy there and back to work.
Turns out he did damage his two front limbs and possible nerve damage. My cat is definitely in a lot of trouble now because she is the reason why he fell. I swear, we had for almost a whole year and my cat has never had any interest up until now...

Anyway, hurt his limbs and could use them to climb up and down his cage like he normally does. Normally walks circles up and down all day. Not a small cage either. Because he couldn't roam around the higher areas of his cage, he wasn't eating enough (if anything) and not getting the calcium into his diet, leading to more damage and little to no healing.

While in the vet office, he received three different shots. One was into his abdomen to replenish the water and calcium he hasn't been ingested. The other two were to help with the pain he was most likely suffering from and to help with his vitamin D.

I'll get a list of meds she prescribed for him once I get home. I'm at work... like always...
3 different ones and then a soft food to force feed him unfortunately because he isn't going after his other foods.

When trying to get his mouth open at the vet, he fought a lot. Wouldn't open his mouth. It was "like trying to lift Thor's Hammer" is how the Vet described it jokingly.
All we could get open was his lips and there was a tiny bit of blood. So she was a little worried that he may have mouth rot. But wasn't 100%. Could have also just been from trying to his him to open his mouth. Either way, she is confident in him regaining his health. It's just a matter of time and patience.

In other news, I am being interviewed for a much better job. A much higher pay grade than I am currently in. How that relates is that if I get this job, I'll be able to dedicate more time and much much better care for him. That's the main issue for me right now. The cashflow to support him. Since I got laid off, the dollar signs have been much smaller. Hopefully that is about to change. :)

Back
Top Bottom