Releasing crickets in cage?

I must have dumb crickets. Once they get out, they go to the bottom and don't go back up. Ever. :(

I suppose it may be because I only have two pots in the bottom of my enclosure and not other way for them to climb back up unless they make the effort to jump up the 5-6 " and climb up the plant. Most seem happy wander aimlessly at the bottom until they drown in the flood that is my Mist King.:confused:

I started my two chams out using my hands so I could monitor what they ate and when. I also did it to gain their trust, or at least so they wouldn't be terrified of my hand....

Once I trusted that they were comfortable enough in their new home to eat on their own I bought them each one of these as a feeder cup. It has a roof to keep out most of the water so your feeder insects wont drown. The plastic is very slick so your feeders have a tough time getting out, except for the bigger crickets. When they do escape, I can see my chams go into instant blood thirsty predator mode, the big crickets are always hunted down first!

As far as feeders turning the tables on a cham, I'm sure freak accidents happen but, I feel like a lot of people on this site are a little over protective. I think this is mostly to the fact that most chams are considered members of the family and treated as such. They obviously love them and want the best for them, but remember these animals have been shaped by nature for God only knows how long to be tough and good at what they do.

...And look Broderp, it even comes with suction cups!....
View attachment 181754

That's a good idea. I've used clear containers before, and both my previous chams would try to get the crickets thru the sides. :eek: I had to place the containers at the bottom to assure they came in on a downwards trajectory to the open top...:rolleyes:

Mine did the same for about a week, no problems after that. When my Chams were younger they would even duck off in there if they did not want to get wet if they were close enough when the mist king kicked off...

I usually hand feed them so the crickets don't get out and about. I

I keep my chameleon in a mesh enclosure, just wondering how can I modify it to attach to mesh?
Mine is mesh too, Neodymium magnets hot glued to the back of the feeder. Then just place the feeder where you want it in your enclosure and put another magnet on the outside of your screen enclosure. Think about it like your making a screen sandwich. Magnets are the bread, screen is the meat. Just be careful when you go to remove the feeder from the screen that you don't rip the screen in the process. the Neodymium magnets are almost too strong but keep ind mind that your Cham will be climbing on the cup so stronger is better here...

Mine is mesh too, Neodymium magnets hot glued to the back of the feeder. Then just place the feeder where you want it in your enclosure and put another magnet on the outside of your screen enclosure. Think about it like your making a screen sandwich. Magnets are the bread, screen is the meat. Just be careful when you go to remove the feeder from the screen that you don't rip the screen in the process. the Neodymium magnets are almost too strong but keep ind mind that your Cham will be climbing on the cup so stronger is better here...
Btw- I glued 4 magnets to the back of each cup, plus the four magnets on the outside of the screen. So that's 8 magnets per cup, these magnets are cheap on Amazon.com

8 magnets has been more than enough to support a he weight of the cup, feeder insects, and my 11mo chams without incident. As they grow you should prob add magnets to match the pace of their growth

I use cups for crawlers, free-range crickets, and hand-feed as well. I've had no problems with bites on my animals and heaven knows there are no problems with malnutrition.

I also put very small carrots at the bottom of the cage for crickets they stay down there allnight have no problems

My chameleon is 6-8 months old and he won’t eat anything dead he likes the live crickets but he only is able to eat the half dead crickets that i had for a few weeks in a bag. When I go buy fresh crickets and put them in his cage that same day.. my chameleon can never find them. They just fall to the bottom (which is a green kinda mat and then on top of the mat is moss I got from petsmart)and then they go into the corners or burrows down and just rots. What should I do ?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

My chameleon is 6-8 months old and he won’t eat anything dead he likes the live crickets but he only is able to eat the half dead crickets that i had for a few weeks in a bag. When I go buy fresh crickets and put them in his cage that same day.. my chameleon can never find them. They just fall to the bottom (which is a green kinda mat and then on top of the mat is moss I got from petsmart)and then they go into the corners or burrows down and just rots. What should I do ? View attachment 278011View attachment 278012View attachment 278013
Wow there... This moss is bacteria and impaction land, you need to remove it asap. Bare bottom enclosure or bioactive. I can also tell from the pic you have incorrect lighting, and from what you are saying im getting the idea you are not gutloading. Please fill this form out and create a new thread so we can help you :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Wow there... This moss is bacteria and impaction land, you need to remove it asap. Bare bottom enclosure or bioactive. I can also tell from the pic you have incorrect lighting, and from what you are saying im getting the idea you are not gutloading. Please fill this form out and create a new thread so we can help you :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
oh god hahah that’s a lot.. it might take me a few hours because I need to get the current temps and other things and yes oh my goodness I did not realize the moss was bad like that! Why do they sell it at PetSmart under the chameleon section?

oh god hahah that’s a lot.. it might take me a few hours because I need to get the current temps and other things and yes oh my goodness I did not realize the moss was bad like that! Why do they sell it at PetSmart under the chameleon section?
Because petsmart and and other big pet stores are incompetent and shouldn't be anywhere near any kind of animal.

Hi. I would suggest having your husbandry reviewed by copy/pasting the help form provided above and starting a new thread. Then you’ll be able to get more personalized info on how to keep your cham happy and healthy. Your current set up looks very nice, but needs some definite changes.

Hi. I would suggest having your husbandry reviewed by copy/pasting the help form provided above and starting a new thread. Then you’ll be able to get more personalized info on how to keep your cham happy and healthy. Your current set up looks very nice, but needs some definite changes.
how do i make a new thread? i have never done this before lol

Back
Top Bottom